Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th July 2016, 12:11 PM
Friend

Default Focussing Hasselblad

My eyesight is failing but I won't give up. Is there a microprism focussing screen for Hasselblad 500cm? And a supplementary lens for the 'chimney' to correct astigmatism? These are not listed in the Hasselblad catalogue.
Old 13th July 2016, 02:38 PM
Friend

If you are having difficulties a Beattie Intenscreen (screen) will provide a useful degree of extra brightness. I used them on several MF cameras and they are good 2 - 2-5 extra stops claimed.

http://www.intenscreen.com/products.htm

The only downside is they are expensive, occasionally used ones come up but they are snapped up.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 13th July 2016, 08:37 PM
Friend

I have the Hasselblad 503cw and a 553elx both have fantastically clear focusing this may be because of the focusing screens I don't know,I have a nc2 and a pme 51 eye level finders you can also get pme45 that can be adjusted to suite your eyesight as well as the chimney type finders also can be adjusted . I have bought a Mamiya 645 afd11 and a nice selection of lenses its not the fastest auto focusing in the world but its easer to use on the go .so I use my Hasselblad's in doors or when I have time to focus and the Mamiya when I haven't got time, the negative sizes are different 6-45 as apposed to 6-6 but I don't mind ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th July 2016, 11:40 AM
Friend

Sorry - bit late - been away. There is a hasselblad split image focus screen for the 500cm, there's also Chinese aftermarket jobs too - not sure how good they are though.
Like you I have struggled at times to see things on my 500CM (especially inside derelict houses!) but I have found that the use of hyperfocal focusing helps enormously as the scales on the lenses are pretty damn accurate when focused (I've checked mine with a surveyors laser measuring thing).
The 'modern' all-black chimney finder is fully dioptre correctable and works very well too, but I really do feel I get best results with hyperfocal focus.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies