Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th November 2016, 01:28 PM
Friend

I'm happy using the Matin cutter rather than scissors. I use a Hama slide viewer for 35mm, so that's what encouraged me to use the Matin when I got my first medium format camera, a MPP Microcord with very erratic frame spacing. It's been looked at by Brian Mickleboro so is now fine.

Nick
Old 15th November 2016, 04:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuhn View Post
...appears to only cut film in lengths for slides.
I've bought one of these years ago and still use it for 120 film (but not for 35mm for some reason?) It was a lot cheaper than I can find it now but would heartily recommend one if you are unsure of using scissors to cut your 120 film.

Don't be put off on the 'length' that you seem to quote about cutting, as you slide the film in and cut to whatever length you require to fit your neg bags. The guides are for slides but you can cut anywhere you want along the length of the film.

Look both on ebay and amazon etc, as having just checked they do seem to vary in price quite a lot!

Terry S
Old 17th November 2016, 01:13 AM
New User

My Matin Cutter arrived today and works great! Well worth it for about $25. Sometimes I shoot Holga and the spaces between frames aren't always even. This will make cutting easier and more consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17th November 2016, 09:38 PM
Friend

While running a professional lab in central London I used to cut thousands of films with scissors. The only problem that routinely arose was cutting 120 film into threes where the images were low-key and the usual gap between images was not visible. I had a template to gauge the probable gap from any visible cues elsewhere along the length.
I would put these films, uncut, into one long sleeve and curl it/them into a specially-made carton for postage. This packaging proved very popular with photographers and we eventually used it for everything, including 35mm. A semi-automatic 35mm slide mounter would have been ruinously expensive.
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:16 PM
Friend

For many years I have used a 5 inch No. 1 Kodak trimming board (wooden guillotine) on my light box for cutting my 120 and 70mm negs, works really well, for 35mm I use a Hama DSR slide mounter which also does a great job.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies