Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2017, 12:59 AM
Friend

Default Retina IIIC purchase, & Synchro-Compur aperture lug

I visited my local Camera Fair last Sunday, and was lucky to have a choice of two Retina IIIC cameras.

I rejected the one where the viewfinder gave a crazed view, and was fortunate in getting the better one with a discount shortly before the dealers closed down. On more thorough checking at home, everything seemed to be in good order except that the actual aperture, during an exposure, seemed to have a mind of its own - only rarely matching what I expected. I had it repaired, and it was reported that the meter was accurate, and that the aperture and shutter blades had been cleaned, as well as tightening various loose screws etc. More testing by me followed, and I then noticed that once again, the aperture was not being controlled correctly, quite frequently.

More, leisurely tests, and I eventually spotted that below the lens, there is a very small metal lug which is connected to the aperture scale ring, and sets the actual aperture hole diameter. Careful inspection using a loupe and I then realised that this small lug should be underneath the "light value setting lever". Gentle pressure using a toothpick sized wooden stick pushed the lug into place, and all is now well. In one direction the lug got pushed, but not in the other direction, until I pushed it into its hidden space underneath the "light value setting lever".

Everything now behaves correctly, just as on my Retina IIIc - same shutter.

I'm now hoping for a some reasonable weather to give it a trial. (I've had the IIIc for over a decade, and always wanted a IIIC for its better viewfinder.)
Old 27th January 2017, 10:49 AM
Friend

Good for you. It makes you wonder whether it was the problem all along. A lens service is not a bad thing.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 27th January 2017, 10:58 AM
Friend

I always fancied a Retina just because Ed Hilary used one on top of the world, what kind of results are you getting, is the lens sharp or does it give a sort of soft 1950s look?
Old 27th January 2017, 12:24 PM
Friend

Well spotted. You'd have thought that whoever did the service would have been skilled enough to have checked on this unless the lever somehow slipped out of position, so to speak, after the camera was returned from service.

Mike
Old 27th January 2017, 12:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Well spotted. You'd have thought that whoever did the service would have been skilled enough to have checked on this unless the lever somehow slipped out of position, so to speak, after the camera was returned from service.

Mike
Yes, and it was the reason I took it in for a service, and I thought I'd described it well enough when I took it in. I hadn't realised the other "features" were faults. (e.g. sloppy rewind knob, traces of oil/grease on shutter/aperture blades.) I really should have photographed the aperture lug when out of position, before making my repair. Without my earlier Retina IIIc for comparison, I doubt if I would have sorted the problem. Between lens shutters are not my normal area of experience.

With regard to lens quality, I've found the scans from my test film on my Retina IIIc with F/2 Xenon lens, and I'll post some examples later. I'll be using XP2 in the Retina IIIC for my first trial.
Old 27th January 2017, 01:13 PM
Friend

Retina's in general are great cameras, I have a couple, a iib and a IIIc, in fact I was out yesterday using the IIIc, the Xenon lens is terrific, sharp enough to cut yourself on, I have, in the past used it wide open and it is as good wide open as closeddown a stop or 2, and the shutter must be one of the quitest around, Well spotted on the aperture lever, although a full service is no bad thing, just one word of caution, the retina's weak link is the shutter cocking wrack, so wind the film on carefully and do not let the winding lever spring back, ease it with your finger, got this from Chris Sherlock in NZ, who is an expert on these cameras having been trained by Kodak and who is the best Retina repairer around,(He has serviced both of mine), have fun with it,
Richard
Old 30th January 2017, 01:40 AM
Friend

The IIIC is an excellent camera - both the Xenon and Heligon versions are great optics. All Retinas are great cameras IMHO, and true classics.

Just do not fall into the temptation of getting the additional wide angle and tele for the IIIC; it is not worth it. Enjoy the excellent 50mm.
Old 30th January 2017, 08:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioF View Post

Just do not fall into the temptation of getting the additional wide angle and tele for the IIIC; it is not worth it. Enjoy the excellent 50mm.
My first 35mm camera was a Contaflex, bought whilst in Germany, 1959. With that, I was tempted to buy the "Teleskop" and adapter. Used a few times with "so-so" results, it was soon relegated to my "museum". After using an SLR since 1958, I now find the nearly inaudible shutter click of the IIIC a bit unnerving.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies