Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd March 2017, 10:07 AM
Friend

Default Hasselblad 503cw gold supreme

Found a 503cw Gold Supreme kit today in a local camera store.
The guy wants £4k for it.
Interestingly it is brand new. Really brand new, un-sold and still in its original sealed bag.
It is a thing of beauty and I want it but is £4k a good price?
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:35 AM
Friend

ffordes are offering a 500CM Gold Exclusive for £3999 as a 'new' item. But neither the 500CM nor the 503CW cameras have been manufactured for a long time, so your 'new' camera has been stashed away in a cupboard (or a safe?) for many years. Hasselblad UK no longer lists prices for V-series cameras, so the deal price is up for grabs. I, for one, would feel at risk if I carried one of these in public.
The 503CW incorporates several technical improvements over the 500CM, notably a mirror that gives a full viewfinder image with longer lenses.
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:47 PM
Friend

I read about the Gold Hassleblads recently somewhere. They were said to have been made as 'Millennium' editions, so work out the age from there.

As with a lot of 'editions' they are most likely unused and bought and sold as 'collectables', which is a real shame to see a camera unused and just sat in a box etc.

Price wise, you will probably find it easy enough to see what others are charging but from memory, they don't seemed to have changed much in value since being made, so shouldn't be considered as an investment purchase = in my opinion anyway. I would rather spend the money on some items that I can use.

Terry S
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:07 PM
Friend

Taking it out of the house would be worrisome.
It would attract a lot of attention.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:22 PM
Friend

I have seen used ones for a lot less ,or a standard 503 for a normal price or a 553elx for even less money ,but if you love Hasselblad and you have the money spare ??why not, it would be great to use a brand new hassy and it is cheaper than a new H series Hasselblad ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Taking it out of the house would be worrisome.
It would attract a lot of attention.
You are going to attract a lot of attention anyway for having a strange looking camera.

However, almost all of the attention is friendly and positive.

I have a LF Camera and it attracts people like a magnet.

I do very occasionally attract a pain in the ar*e and who is difficult to shake off - but I've never felt threatened or intimidated.

Its a good lesson in humanity - almost everyone you meet is pleasant, polite and well meaning

So don't let a high profile camera or camera colour put you off.

Martin
Old 2nd March 2017, 05:52 PM
Friend

These things are only of interest for collectors. That also explains why it has not been taken out of the sealing yet. Doing so would probably diminish its value, let alone taking actual pictures with it. If you want something to marvel at, why not? If you want something that may keep its value or even increase in the future, why not? If you just want a "new" Hasselblad to shoot, with a bit of patience some as new 501CM or 503CW may occur somewhere for half the price.
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:32 PM
Friend

I have got a 503cw Millenium, where can I get it gold plated?
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:37 PM
Friend

when you can easily spend well over a £1000 plus pounds for a second hand 50mm lens to fit it, £4000 pounds don't seem that much and as we are talking Hasselblad the sky's the limit ,and as some Leica collectors I know say its only money ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 3rd March 2017, 02:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
when you can easily spend well over a £1000 plus pounds for a second hand 50mm lens to fit it, £4000 pounds don't seem that much and as we are talking Hasselblad the sky's the limit ,and as some Leica collectors I know say its only money ..

www.essexcockney.com
Good point,
You can spend £3500 on a digital sir without a lens. It'll be worth next to nothing when a new model comes out.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies