Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th March 2017, 05:27 PM
Friend

John, actual post office from the UK to Jersey is the same as internal post, in fact for special delivery it is often cheaper from the UK to Jersey than the other way around, this due to reciprical arrangements in that Jersey post, although a seperate company, is sent via Royal mail, and no chemicals, either powder or concentrate, can be sent via the postal service, all chemicals are on the banned list, also, AG at least the last time I used them, in spite of having Parcel Force as their carriere, sent via DPD city link, as does Firstcall and other suppliers, not just Photography but other stuff that I get for my old cars, and AG is, by far, the most expensive, good service, and I am not in any way knocking them, but £19.50, which is more than a lot of continental destinations, when everyone else is cheaper, is galling, They were the fastest to deliver, usually next working day, but I would rather pay less carriage and wait 2 working days for delivery, those £ 4.50 add up over time.
Richard
Old 18th March 2017, 06:14 PM
Friend

John you are correct in that Royal Mail charges are the same for anywhere in the UK but as you say they won't ship liquid chems. This time around I was ordering some Photo-flo and Stopbath so had to opt for the courier option.

Perhaps certain couriers charge different rates for delivery to 'The Highlands&Islands, including Northern Ireland', I don't know. But it hurts the pocket, as Richard knows, when you are putting an order together for the best part of £200 and then have to fork out an extra 10% for postage. I've contacted Silverprint in the past querying their shipping charges and although they did reply to my emails there was no real attempt made to help out - clearly they have their preferred courier and that was that. I understand, I'm only one customer who puts an order in every 2 or 3 months.

For the record, AG used DHL.

Late last year I read that in the US, B&H (New York) are no longer shipping any chemicals (I think they use UPS). Hopefully not, but perhaps this is a sign of things to come here too.

Michael
Old 18th March 2017, 06:28 PM
Friend

Micheal,
From what I read B&h are now shipping, but only certain things, they claim that it is to do with federal regs, but others over there are shipping everything with no problems, but the will use road transport where B&h won't, there is a lot of spectulation over on Apug that ther don't make enough profit on chemicals. Last time I ordered from AG it came via DPD, that was back in late 2015/early 2016, looking at prices I Emailed a USA supplier to get a carriage price to the UK, and they were cheaper than UK suppliers, around £10, but then you have taxes, in your case VAT, but for me anything under £240 is free of what we call GST, but I prefer to order from the couple of UK suppliers that I know and trust.
Richard
Old 18th March 2017, 07:23 PM
Friend

Default Carriage Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
John, actual post office from the UK to Jersey is the same as internal post, in fact for special delivery it is often cheaper from the UK to Jersey than the other way around,
Richard
The Royal Mail Worldwide specifically state the charges to the Channel Isles is different but don't actually say in what way.

That apart. They want us to shop on line or we have no other choice then we have to pay for the postage. Whilst I don't think the companies should subsidise their customers by giving free carriage, there must be a better/different/cheaper way.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:40 PM
Friend

To be honest, John, given the times we live in I'm surprised that Royal Mail (or anyone else) still does a flat rate to all parts of the UK. But...living in Northern Ireland I'm very happy that they do!
Michael
Old 18th March 2017, 07:46 PM
Friend

I know from experiance that it costs more to post anything,
letters,parcels,special delivery Etc from here to the UK, as a for instance, special delivery for a camera from the UK to here is £12, but to send the same camera to the UK, is £17, 40 films from Process supplies costs £7 postage, I have been told by our Post Office that the postage to Jersey from the UK, letters,parcels, is the same as for internal postage in the UK, certainly to send a letter or Print first class the same stamps are used for Jersey as for the UK,
parcels might be different but I get very few if any parcels, mostly comes via carrier, but our Jersey post office is also the agent for several carriers, the only parcels I get are small ones from Process with film.
Richard
Old 18th March 2017, 08:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
... I was ordering some Photo-flo and Stopbath so had to opt for the courier option.
It doesn't apply to developer or fix concentrates but the chemicals you list above are present in most households. Wetting agent (Photoflo) is sold as dishwasher rinse aid - dilution 1:200 for photography. Stopbath (without indicator, of course) is a 2% solution of glacial acetic acid or a 1:3 dilution of spirit vinegar. I'm sure that cider or wine vinegar would work just as well.
Old 19th March 2017, 12:49 PM
Friend

That's useful information John - thanks. Up to now I've been quite conservative with my use of chemicals but I like the sound of the rinse aid in particular.
Michael
Old 19th March 2017, 08:56 PM
Friend

It may be due to volumes but certain retailers can offer a fixed carriage fee which can be a lot cheaper if it is a bulk( as in heavy) order.

The downside is that it remains the same whether it is 10 litres of chemicals or 1 HP5+ film. Maybe we can't have it both ways. In which case it becomes a matter of choosing your retailer on the size of your order.

In recent times carrier costs can easily wipe-out quite large competitive edges in pricing that some retailers can offer.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies