Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th December 2009, 08:32 PM
Friend

Default Discussion/Help Gallery or Critique Gallery ?

In looking at both these galleries they do to my mind seem to be one and the same. In the D/H Gallery people rarely seem to ask for help but just seem to place the photo there for a critique. To my mind both these galleries are quite distinct, one is for help the other is for a critique.
Do other people see the distinction between them or does it matter?

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 29th December 2009, 08:46 PM
Friend

I often want help and critique personally, and it confused me which one to put them in. I think it might make sense if there was a help/critique gallery, and a general, where people just wanted to show it?
Old 30th December 2009, 06:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoP View Post
I often want help and critique personally, and it confused me which one to put them in. I think it might make sense if there was a help/critique gallery, and a general, where people just wanted to show it?
We have the Albums section where you may display your work, whilst the Galleries are dedicated to more specific purposes.
Old 30th December 2009, 06:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
In looking at both these galleries they do to my mind seem to be one and the same. In the D/H Gallery people rarely seem to ask for help but just seem to place the photo there for a critique. To my mind both these galleries are quite distinct, one is for help the other is for a critique.
Do other people see the distinction between them or does it matter?

We had marked this issue for review next month, but Vincent's question has brought the matter forward. These Galleries are an important part of this site, so your replies to his timely question will be of interest.
Old 30th December 2009, 07:06 AM
Friend

I would suggest 2 different galleries:

1) Discussion
2) Help/Critique

Just my 2 c

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 30th December 2009, 07:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
I would suggest 2 different galleries:

1) Discussion
2) Help/Critique

Just my 2 c

I agree the names should be changed but how about this version ?

1) Discussion
2) Help/Constructive Comment

When it comes to encouraging folks to about images I have never been happy with the use of word 'critique' as it implies criticism will be made. The thought of this could turn a lot of photographers away.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th December 2009, 09:02 AM
Friend

I would certainly agree in having the two - Discussion gallery and a Help/CC gallery. That way I think it becomes clearer what the photographer requires in the way of feedback.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 30th December 2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator

I agree fully with the comments made here. Neils suggested headings would seem ideal
Old 30th December 2009, 10:05 AM
Friend

I’m not too sure why we should shy away from the word critique. My word processor suggests that the word is similar to: analysis, assessment, evaluation, review, and appraisal; all of which seem to me to describe our intent. I suppose the associated words criticise or critic have had their meaning distorted, and that may have lead to a distaste for them, which is a pity. I guess that shielding people from criticism is more politically correct, along the lines of “failure not allowed”, which seems to be the norm these days. I suggest that we retain the Gallery title, but modify its description to include “constructive comment”.
There is no reason why we should not introduce another Gallery to allow the separation of “Discussion” and “Help” if that is felt worthwhile.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator

I don't think Neil was suggesting creating another gallery? I assumed that he meant change the current titles thus...

Discussion/Help -> Discussion

Critique -> Help/Constructive Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies