Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2010, 07:27 AM
Friend

Stoo and Alan, thanks for the information. I just couldnt remember how much Metol in place of Phenidone.
Also, no restrainer simplifies the formula as given by Stoo.
Old 21st August 2010, 10:41 AM
Friend

After using Xtol for all most all my film developing for many years I've just had my first attempt at using pyrocat-HD.
So far it has worked nicely with Fomapan 100 and Rollei 80s, less success with SFX200.
Have yet to discern any major advantage over Xtol for conventional printing - perhaps grain is a bit finer. However, it does seem to boost contrast nicely for VanDykes and salt-prints.
Odd having warm-tone negatives however.
Old 1st December 2015, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Reviving an old thread...

I have been using Leon's Pyrocat process for 35mm, 120 and 5x4 negatives with great success (thanks Leon). I'm using Patteson tanks for 35mm and 120 and Combiplan tanks for 5x4. I have not experienced the problem that Leon had with my Combiplan. My Pyrocat HD was mixed using Glycol for longevity.
Old 1st December 2015, 05:42 PM
Friend

Barry, I make up my Pyrocat HD with de-ionised water (no Glycol) and found that using fresh Metabisulphite one bottle lasted just over 4 years. The type of bottle is important high density plastic or glass must be used.

I hadn't planned to keep it 4 years I made it up while back in the UK while still living in Turkey, having found it working identically to fresh developer after 3 years I decided to see just how long it would last.

I use if now for all my negatives and have done for about 9 to 10 years, I use Paterson and Jobo tanks as well as a Yankee which is similar to the Combiplan. I add 2 drops of wetting agent as my water is so hard to prevent air-bells. Pyrocat negatives are so easy to print and they also scan well.

Ian
Old 1st December 2015, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Ian,

Thanks for your comments, I'm amazed at the four year life. I use brown glass bottles and decided to use Glycol because it is easily available on E*ay these days. In fact living in a rural area it is more easy to get hold of than de-ionised water! I will make sure to use fresh Metabisulphate as per your suggested in my next brew, thanks.

My negatives are easy to print and very sharp.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies