Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th April 2012, 07:27 PM
Friend

Default Nikon F3 sticky meter illumination button

Hi - thought I would pass this on as it has worked for me.
The common sticky meter illumination button on a Nikon F3 . . .
Well, Maplin sell a switch cleaner/lubricant called Servisol Super 10 - spray some into the lid of the tin, get a toothpick or a very small screwdriver, dip it in the solution and deposit one drop on the red button. There's no need to take the prism off. Push the button down so that the Servisol gets into the switch.
Leave for a bit, excercise the button a few times and then you'll find it works beautifully. If you need more, then another drop should do.
Mine was very sticky and intermittent and had what appeared to be light seal goo on part of it. I wiped that away with a small bit of kitchen towel with Servisol on it, and then did the above. Light now works like new.
I've used Servisol on a few different switches now and it works like a dream as it seems to lubricate as well.
Phil
Old 9th April 2012, 04:31 PM
Friend

Thanks for sharing that Phil, it's handy to know. Yes, the illuminator button is probably the F3's weak point in an otherwise near-perfect camera.
Old 9th April 2012, 07:20 PM
Friend

No probs Carl - it transformed mine from a fiddly, will it won't it, thing, to something that operates with a very gentle normal push of a finger
Phil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies