Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Manuals Discussion Forum

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th November 2012, 01:09 PM
Friend

I am running Windows 7. Looks like we can discount Kaspersky as others are OK. It might be my version of Kaspersky I suppose but it doesn't seem to have "played up" anywhere else except FADU pdfs and then only over 1MB.

Clearly whatever is wrong it is peculiar to me so needs fixing at my end

How do I check whether there are warnings on Kaspersky about FADU although if there are then why isn't Xpres having any problems?

Xpres I may have to give you a call as a last resort. Is your tel number in your contact stats?

Thanks

Mike
Old 24th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Friend

PS where do I find the windows services panel to stop Kaspersky temporarily?

Thanks

Mike
Old 24th November 2012, 03:25 PM
Friend

if you are running windows 7 then Kaspersky should not be necessary.
With windows firewall and microsoft security essentials you get plenty security and the benefit is that its faster but most importantly you avoid most all the conflicts that third party virus protection causes with other software. Just saying.

windows services are accessed from start button/administrative tools/services.
if kaspersky has an icon on the sytem tray you may be able stop it by right clicking the icon and hitting a pause button.

Just because a piece of software works on one machine doesn't mean it will work properly on another. There are literally thousands of differences due to all the configuration differences between machines and all the software installed on them amongst other things.

I would also install that srware iron browser and see if it works for you. If it does then you have a fair idea that it was something to do with chrome.

Last edited by Argentum; 24th November 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11th February 2013, 04:01 PM
Friend

My problem appears to be cured but I don't really know how. Let me say what happened. I spotted Xpres' post on the M805 manal and his two links. I was able to download the file on both.

This excited my curiosity once again as to why I had been unable to download any file from the FADU site above about 1MB

So I then tried Argentum's suggestion and eventually managed to disable my Kaspersky protection and I then tried again to download the M805 file from FADU and it worked.

I then enabled it again and expected when I attempted the same download to have to do something to add FADU to a list of trusted sites or some kind of modification to place it into the " trusted fold" although I realise I can't square that with why it allowed me to download small files in the first place.

Anyway without any further modifications I attempted the same download with Kaspersky enabled and it still worked!

Unfortunately I hadn't tried to download the M805 file via FADU before going down the disabling route.

I have since tried other even bigger files via FADU such as over 5MB and they work as well

So I am tempted to think that some other change has taken place or Kaspersky having been disabled then enabled, automatically recognised that files from FADU had been downloaded and thus are safe

Just a bit of intellectual curiosity on my part about what actually happened. Any ideas?

Anyway it now works for me. Hurrah

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies