Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2013, 09:56 PM
Friend

I'm thinking of getting my wife to buy me Gregory Heisler "50 Portraits". Saw a video of him discussing one of his photos, and the book sounds similar ( a discussion of how for each of the 50). Other than that temptation, my shelves are overloaded.
Old 23rd November 2013, 06:10 PM
Friend

I have just returned from viewing Tim Rudman's prints at the Bang Wallop Gallery - which I recommend. Whilst there I treated myself to an interesting book by Linda McCartney on her sun prints, which I had no idea existed - an early Christmas present of course.

Sun Prints by: Linda McCartney ISBN 0-821227374

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:49 PM
Friend

Neil - Are Linda McCartney's prints just blue or toned cyanotypes; or does she use more than one process? I can't seem to find an authoritative description of the book - "mixing minerals" isn't terribly helpful!
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
I know what you mean Ed. I have had some gems from a second-hand bookshop near me in Helmsley. They always have a good selection of photography books.
Saw a very interesting book this week in Waterstones in York. "These Faces" by Timothy Neat. Environmental portraits. Worth a look. I may order it for Christmas...

Alan
Weird city - only found out about Tim's photographs recently. He taught me Art History at Duncan of Jordanstone in Dundee back in the 1980's . . never saw him in the photographic department though (and I was welded there for a lot of the time) . . hmmmm!
He was a very nice chap actually - not a pseud if you know what I mean.
Old 23rd November 2013, 11:11 PM
Friend

I recently bought myself two books of Frederick H. Evans photographs as well as the latest book by RAX (as an addition to the previous two volumes.) Been thinking abiut sonething special for Christmas - Maybe some of Michael Kenna's or recent William Clift (Shiprock and Mt. Saint Michel)
Old 24th November 2013, 02:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Neil - Are Linda McCartney's prints just blue or toned cyanotypes; or does she use more than one process? I can't seem to find an authoritative description of the book - "mixing minerals" isn't terribly helpful!

Michael,

Linda's book is more a portfolio of her work which is mainly blue Cyanotypes and normal Van Dykes. To my eye they all look un-toned but I could wrong. However, the images are good, unusual, and well worth looking at if you do either of these two alternative processes.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 24th November 2013, 03:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Weird city - only found out about Tim's photographs recently. He taught me Art History at Duncan of Jordanstone in Dundee back in the 1980's . . never saw him in the photographic department though (and I was welded there for a lot of the time) . . hmmmm!
He was a very nice chap actually - not a pseud if you know what I mean.
Hi Phil. Now you have discovered his photographs, do you like them? They seem a bit varied in the book. Inevitable I suppose since they cover a big time-span.

Alan
Old 24th November 2013, 06:21 PM
Friend

Neil - Thank you for that.
Old 26th November 2013, 07:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I have just returned from viewing Tim Rudman's prints at the Bang Wallop Gallery - which I recommend.

Neil.
I have seen those and the quality of Tim's prints are superb.

I wonder what films and format he uses? Some are lith-prints that appear in his books.
Old 26th November 2013, 07:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
I have seen those and the quality of Tim's prints are superb.

I wonder what films and format he uses? Some are lith-prints that appear in his books.

Keith,

IIRC this exhibition of Tim's work (all snow images) were all Vaux lith prints and were mounted in the square format so we did wonder if he used 6x6. What film used ? No idea - but the images were just superb :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies