Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th December 2013, 02:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I don't know about a track record Ian, but Ilford are or have just set up something of that type: I think it's called House Of Ilford.
Their site is http://www.houseofilfordphoto.com/home.php
Quote:
Prints are made on ILFORD black and white silver gelatin resin coated (RC) photographic paper and developed in ILFORD photographic chemistry.
We use a Lightjet photographic printer that exposes the photographic paper using lasers.
So the prints are made from digital files. Maybe scanned from prints or maybe from film, it doesn't say.

I don't think that is quite what Ian means when he says "traditional darkroom" but I could be wrong.
Old 12th December 2013, 05:59 PM
Friend

Stack em high and sell em cheap...

http://www.art.co.uk/products/p15426...4A5DCA455BFF52
Old 12th December 2013, 07:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I think lots of people tried in the past but I never really understood why. You either have to have lots of rules about content and manage who can post in it or it becomes a free for all with content of a dubious nature. Many of them seem to end up with mostly nudes (all done in the best possible taste of course) and that puts off a lot of other people from using the site.

My personal opinion is that if you want to sell your work then your own site is the best option as a brochure for attracting people to your own exhibitions.

There are a few decent websites of "Groups" who foster the aim of high quality photography but even some of those have given way to digital. Following are two of the best IMO but they now include digital I think.

http://www.arenaphotographers.com/
http://cotswold-monochrome.co.uk/

The first organises exhibitons in various locations, the second has one major exhibit from a competition a year and that is only for a few days.

Even the FADU exhibition organised by Dave has fallen by the wayside so I think what you are suggesting is a nice idea but the reality of it tends not to be practical unless someone is prepared to put a lot of ongoing time and effort into it. It really isn't viable unless the person/s giving that time is getting some financial reward for it. And that simply won't happen unless the work is of the highest quality and is of a saleable type and the exhibitions are in the right locations with good marketing, all of which costs money.

I think you would find that the practicalities of running it become a real pain very quickly. But give it a shot if you think you can succeed where most of the others that have tried before have failed.
Initially I was interested in Marc's idea but quickly realised that very little thought had really been put into it and he was evolving it on the fly, not ideal.

The reason for staring this thread was to find out if any here knew of any existing sites.

I do sell prints although not as many in recent years mainly because I only had occasional access to my darkroom on visits back to the UK, and at the moment I've no darkroom set up although I'll rig up a temporary one sometime after Christmas.

I'm away of the Arena camera club and the handful of B&W groups, I lectured at the East Midlands group a few years ago but I don't see anything of benefit. The Arena club is invitation only, and anyway it's very regional.

Exhibitions are one way to raise a photographers profile and it's something I've been doing for around 25 years, and I have more in the pipeline.

There was a Group selling online for quite a while and the way they worked gives me a clearer idea of how to possibly make something happen again. So now it's time to make some plans and move the project forward.

Ian
Old 12th December 2013, 07:42 PM
Friend

Not exactly what you were after Ian but it is a showcase.
It seems like Adobe are behind it but that doesn't mean it's only d*gi.
You can click on "photography" in the Popular Creative Fields right or you can search in the search field and/or use tags.

http://www.behance.net/

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th December 2013, 12:24 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
So now it's time to make some plans and move the project forward.
Ian
It's not something I'm looking to participate in but I wish you luck with it. Just do your research on people wanting to participate before committing too much time to it.
Old 13th December 2013, 03:01 PM
Friend

Just to get you thinking...

I would suggest you consider in detail how you are going to accept payment for online orders for something you may or may not have in your hands. And if not in your hands then how do you manage distribution against sales and disputes of claimed non delivery.

Running an online sales site is a real can of worms when there are several parties involved. Its bad enough when it just you.

As a sales agent you will will be liable to taxation and possibly VAT if sales volume is high enough and note that if you go over VAT threshold in anyone year YOU will be liable for VAT on all sales that year so if you haven't charged it from day one you will have a big tax bill from your own pocket. It can get very messy, especially if the people you are selling for aren't properly registered for selling their work. In that case what are you paying them for? Are you buying their work from them? If not then how do you manage the taxation side without forcing them to register their business interest to the HMRC? Will they want to do that or are they just a hobbyist making a few undeclared quid on the side? Who do you think is going to be liable for the tax bill? Do your reasearch well.

Good luck.
Old 13th December 2013, 05:03 PM
Friend

These are areas I've already thought about, I have a potential model in mind which puts the onus on the producer of the work and not VAT liability for the website (unless sales were exceptionally high).

It's something I've had in mind for over a year and I won't take it forward until everything is right.

Ian
Old 13th December 2013, 08:54 PM
Friend

I know that Marcaeon behind the scenes was a lot more organised than you would first think. He had meetings with retailers regarding the sale of prints at concessions within Harrods for example and others. I know because I met him afterwards in London. The online website was in my understanding just the front end book of works knowing that on-line sales alone was never going to work. Lostlabors saying that Marcaeon was evolving it on the fly was more a case of trying to get everyone involved and keeping everyone on FADU happy since it was built for FADU in mind. Easy to slate to someone who had the vision now they are not here but at least he went off and did it and having just looked at Traditionalphotographer.co.uk is carrying on doing it. Do you remember when IBM said home computers would never catch on? Maybe that's why Ilford copied his idea.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:57 AM
Friend

I understand Marc has a very good reason for deleting his FADU presence. It's not controversial but is important from his point of view. Don't read too much into it. He might well return in future.
Old 14th December 2013, 09:30 AM
Friend

What Marc does is his business, however it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that Ilford copied his idea. They've had the infrastructure and facilities in place for some time, some of the Photographers have worked with them for years and the project and website (House of Ilford) would have taken some time to organise and write.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies