Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Members Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th January 2014, 04:20 AM
Friend

Default Maris Rusis: Original Photographs

Years ago I said I'd never do another public exhibition. Exhibitions are a distraction from on-going creative work. They consume time and expensive resources and furnish but passing entertainment for mildly interested gallery goers.

But there's an upside too in the cleansing discipline of putting together a show. Sure, you make 'em, hang 'em, look at 'em, take 'em down, and put 'em away but the journey also involves an essential editing, clarifying, simplifying, and confirmatory mental process. One might become a better photograph maker or perhaps a more cunning one.

I also do the framing, mounting, matting which feels like work. But I'm not in photography to dodge work but to be uplifted by it. And the signage, titles, and explanatory text is more work too. If it's all done as good as I can do at the time then its worth, grand or paltry, is validated. And maybe I get validated as well; just a bit.

My good mate Ian Poole is director at Foto Frenzy gallery in Brisbane, Australia. He is also urbane, articulate, persistent, and persuasive enough to summon me out of the workshop and studio with photographs to put on a wall.

The result is: Maris Rusis: Original Photographs. The show is 100% extolatory of pictures made out of light sensitive materials. It runs at Foto Frenzy from 3 February - 20 February 2014.

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.fotofrenzy.com.au/events/...am/maris-rusis
http://www.fotofrenzy.com.au/events/exhibition-program
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 24th January 2014, 05:41 AM
Friend

I wish you all the best for your exhibition Maris, had a look at the top link and the 3 photos look great. Unfortunately I will not be able to visit personally.
Richard
Old 24th January 2014, 09:42 AM
Friend

Good luck with the exhibition.

ps - couldn't access the links this morning, will try later.
Old 24th January 2014, 05:04 PM
Friend

Wow! You've been busy Maris and from the few photos I've seen I'm sure it will be a great success.

Good on your mate for twisting your arm too. So when's the book, website and blog coming...

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th January 2014, 06:26 PM
Friend

Your exhibition seems most interesting Maris. What a pity that most of us are too far away to be able to see it. For this reason I believe there would be a lot of interest if you could tell us more about it. Things like the subject matter, what your aims and ideas were when you photographed it. How you made the photographs, what size prints you made, and the materials and printing methods used; etc.

Good luck with the exhibition.

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies