Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2014, 10:12 PM
Friend

Default Cannot be beaten

I have just returned from a few days away in Cumbria. Whilst walking around the town of Keswick I came across a small (ish) art shop with a few monochrome images of the English lakes. I went inside to look further and came across a multitude of prints varying from 9.5x12 up to 20x24 with beautiful bold colours and incredibly sharp. They looked like digital prints at first glance, (given the bold colours) but looking further I read on the small label attached to the frame of each print that they were in fact Cibachrome Prints. Absolutely stunning!

There was a small picture of the photographer which turned out to be the shop owner with the 5x4 MPP camera he used. We got into conversation and he expressed regret that these were the last of the line because (unknown to me) Cibachrome had been discontinued. He did have a stock of copies of the images but once they were gone that was it. However he was taking his interests elsewhere and was going to use B&W as an alternative to fill the gap left by Cibachrome.
Old 9th March 2014, 10:25 PM
Friend

I had some Cibachrome prints made some years ago, and the quality of the material (not necessarily my images!) was superb. The prints remain as bright as the day they were made, more than 10 years ago. It's a pity that it has gone.
Alex
Old 10th March 2014, 08:07 AM
Friend

Did he have a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
....There was a small picture of the photographer which turned out to be the shop owner with the 5x4 MPP camera he used.....
Old 10th March 2014, 10:42 AM
Friend

Default Name

Sorry no I didn't get a name.

However the shop was in St John Street on the right hand side as you walk towards the lake end. I have had a look on Goggle Street view but heaven only knows when those images were taken and the shop I think it is, has a green blind pulled down over the name. It may not even be the same owner depending how long ago street view was filmed.

There are some Mono images in the window and attached to a lamp post or something outside is a sign saying 'Art sale'.

He is asking a fortune for the pictures (framed) with the 20x24 costing up to £800, but really they are stunning!
Old 10th March 2014, 11:12 PM
Friend

Peter Tasker by any chance ?
Old 13th March 2014, 09:18 AM
Friend

I used Cibrachrome years ago in college and was mightily impressed by both the colour and the quality of finish. It was a faff to do, but thoroughly enjoyable at the same time. Unfortunately the prints and the slides vanished some time ago.
Old 14th March 2014, 12:33 PM
Friend

I used to make Cibachrome prints years ago, but it was a faff and very expensive. I found it only really worked well with Kodachrome slides too, very often I got colour crossover with Fuji slides - cyan highlights and magenta shadows (or maybe the other way round, I forget). When done correctly though (which demanded a professional lab really), it was pretty much unbeatable.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 25th March 2014, 07:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
Did he have a name?
Lee Chapman. Beautiful but hugely expensive work.

Regards,

Richard
Old 26th March 2014, 05:24 PM
Friend

There is fuji FLEX paper.
Old 26th March 2014, 06:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
There is fuji FLEX paper.
This is claimed to be an archiving material. The data sheet states that it is intended to be exposed in a wide-format laser printer. It may not have the saturation of Cibachrome but it should be easier to control contrast. Does anyone have any practical experience with this material?

Last edited by JOReynolds; 26th March 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies