Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th October 2014, 11:09 AM
Friend

Default RPS and an Analogue Group

In the October Journal of the RPS David Healey is suggesting that he set up an Analogue Imaging Group within the RPS if he gets enough support from members to persuede the Council. He even mentions FADU and APUG. He is asking members who would support such a group to contact him.
email:- jdhealey@keyphoto.com
or
telephone:- 07968 746211

Tony
Old 9th October 2014, 01:06 PM
Friend

This sounds a good idea and if I was still in the RPS I would give it my full support. In fact it was because 'analogue photography' was more or less let go by the RPS that I left it after over 25 years of membership.

However, it may be easier and cheaper for any RPS members who are interested or practising the arts of analogue photography, to just join FADU instead

Neil..

Neil Souch
Old 9th October 2014, 01:52 PM
Friend

A lot might depend on what aims the Analogue Imaging Group within the RPS had. If by and large the aims were the same then it might fragment analogue users as a whole rather than consolidate it.

As the new group would be open to RPS members only then that rules me out and might rule out newcomers who might be less likely to join RPS, at least at first.

If the aims were not identical there might very well be a case for cross links between the two groups, assuming the RPS group gets off the ground.

Mike
Old 9th October 2014, 02:25 PM
Friend

Like Neil I left the RPS as analogue photography seemed to be sidelined in favor of Digital and I saw no point in staying with a group that held no interest to me, but good luck to them if a group gets off the ground, I think that Fadu is a better forum for the analogue photographer,
Richard
Old 9th October 2014, 02:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
A lot might depend on what aims the Analogue Imaging Group within the RPS had. If by and large the aims were the same then it might fragment analogue users as a whole rather than consolidate it.

As the new group would be open to RPS members only then that rules me out and might rule out newcomers who might be less likely to join RPS, at least at first.

If the aims were not identical there might very well be a case for cross links between the two groups, assuming the RPS group gets off the ground.

Mike

Mike,

You have it in a nut shell and I have thought much the same.

RPS members, once joined, can join one of the RPS Special Interest Groups - for an additional fee of course. You can be in as many of these groups as you wish - Visual Art, Colour, Travel, Scientific , Portrait and so on. I was in the Visual Art Group but because it gradually contained less and less analogue workers (as did the RPS in general) there seemed little point in staying. So I can see that an Analogue Group is a good idea if there is now a need within the RPS. But from what I hear from the few friends I have that are still in the RPS that may not necessarily be the case.

Even the largest of RPS Special Interest Groups only contain a relatively small number of active m embers so a new start up group would probably contain just a a few dedicated workers to get it going and could take years to build up its membership. This is why I suggested joining FADU.

If it gets going I wish it success.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 9th October 2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 9th October 2014, 03:01 PM
Friend

What a bunch of old miseries, you are as bad as the BBC, when ever someone does something positive then they will condemn and say it won't work and its useless. How can it be seen as an alternative to FADU? Anything which promotes the use of the analogue processes must good for us all. I am bewildered and confused but I guess that is nothing new for me!!!

Tony
Old 9th October 2014, 03:06 PM
Friend

I tried to start an analogue in the RPS about 10 years ago, only one reply!
I do hope David does better, I've been in touch with him to register my interest.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 9th October 2014, 03:14 PM
Friend

I agree that any positive steps which promote analogue are A Good Thing. I can also see why people who were in the RPS for many years only leaving when the Society seemed to completely abandon/ignore analogue would be unlikely to want to return in the wake of the current resurgence of interest. We shall see what happens.
Old 9th October 2014, 03:22 PM
Friend

Anything that promotes film photography has to be for the good of any groups such as FADU. I wish them every success.
Old 9th October 2014, 03:39 PM
Friend

Sent Email supporting.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies