Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th March 2020, 03:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
There were very few good third party 28mm lenses, the Vivitar S1 28mm f1.9 and the Tamron 28mm f2.5 Adaptall were the exceptions.
I'm sure your could find a nice Fujinon, Mamiya or Zeiss Jena that would do the job...they have a good rep. The Vivitar Kiron, Komine or Tokina-made models are also pretty good from what I have read.

Still, it's hard to beat the Takumars for image quality. Maybe not the sharpest, but the rendering of depth is just outstanding.

Last edited by Svend; 4th March 2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 4th March 2020, 05:00 PM
Friend

Richard, Ian -- it looks like the Vivitar Series 1 24-48 will be on it's way to me shortly! The seller sounds very honest and trustworthy, and says it is in excellent shape. In the photos it certainly looks mint. So I am confident that it will be a winner. I will post back here once I have it in hand and have made a few test shots with it. I am very keen to try it out. This will be my first film camera zoom lens, so it should be interesting to see how I get on with it.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 4th March 2020, 05:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Richard, Ian -- it looks like the Vivitar Series 1 24-48 will be on it's way to me shortly! The seller sounds very honest and trustworthy, and says it is in excellent shape. In the photos it certainly looks mint. So I am confident that it will be a winner. I will post back here once I have it in hand and have made a few test shots with it. I am very keen to try it out. This will be my first film camera zoom lens, so it should be interesting to see how I get on with it.

Thanks again for the advice.
Certainly the Vivitar series 1 lenses were amogst the best zoom around, very sharp and very good contrast, 24to 45 is a ery short zoom so that should not be a problem, the shortest zoom I have in that area is the Minolta 24 to 85 lens, look forward to hearing hw you get on with it,
Richard
Old 4th April 2020, 09:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Vivitar made some superb Series One lenses, I always fancied the 28mm f1.9 but they command high prices second hand, and I very rarely shoot 35mm.
Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Certainly the Vivitar series 1 lenses were amogst the best zoom around, very sharp and very good contrast, 24to 45 is a ery short zoom so that should not be a problem, the shortest zoom I have in that area is the Minolta 24 to 85 lens, look forward to hearing hw you get on with it,
Richard
Richard, Ian -- a quick followup to this Vivitar lens (the Series 1 24-48). I received it back from my service tech today (fixed a stuck aperture - the common Kiron frozen lube problem) and shot a few test frames with my K5 at 24mm and 40mm. This seems to be a really nice lens. At pixel peeping view it comes within a whisker of being as sharp as my SMC-M 50/1.7, and that's saying something as that one is a darn sharp lens. I'm sure at normal print sizes there will be no discernible difference, save tonality and contrast perhaps.

It seems to have excellent colours too; real depth. Solid build; beautifully finished; all metal; smooth ring movements. I think this one is a keeper! Thanks for the recommendation. It made the decision to buy it much easier. I'm taking it on a long bike ride tomorrow, so I will see how it performs out in the real world. Looking forward to that.

BTW, at the same time I also picked up a Tokina RMC II 24/2.8 prime lens. It seems from my initial tests that this Vivitar zoom may actually be the better lens at 24mm. More real-world shooting is needed to compare, of course.
Old 5th April 2020, 11:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
I'm taking it on a long bike ride tomorrow, so I will see how it performs out in the real world. Looking forward to that.
Remember Svend, that the 'real world' at the moment is far from the norm.

And whilst out on the bike, DON'T even think of doing any sunbathing!

Quote:
I received it back from my service tech today (fixed a stuck aperture - the common Kiron frozen lube problem) and shot a few test frames...
Oh, and don't do as I did to see what was meant by the 'Kiron frozen lube problem'... I learnt more than I needed too by googling that!

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 5th April 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Remember Svend, that the 'real world' at the moment is far from the norm.

And whilst out on the bike, DON'T even think of doing any sunbathing!

Oh, and don't do as I did to see what was meant by the 'Kiron frozen lube problem'... I learnt more than I needed too by googling that!

Terry S

Terry, I can just imagine what you found in that google search...a forlorn Siberian village with a bunch of very frustrated blokes comes to mind

And no worries - no sunbathing today . Too darn cold...only 2 deg. this morning. Spring can come any time now....we'd welcome some cheering warmth at this point.

BTW, all the cycling trails out in the countryside here are open. Around this area there are hundreds of kilometres of abandoned railway lines converted to cycling/walking/equestrian paths. It's about the only thing keeping us sane these days.

Hope you all are doing well and getting out with your cameras.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies