Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th November 2010, 02:07 PM
Friend

Default Peter Hogan's Selenium Sulphide Brown Toner

Has anyone used it and what was your thoughts on it?
Old 30th November 2010, 02:15 PM
Friend

Yes, and very good.
Old 30th November 2010, 05:15 PM
Friend

Dave this may have been covered eslewhere and if so apologies but any issues with smell( I can open the darkroom windows easily) and more importantly any problems with the famous alleged fogging of stored paper. Moving all paper out of the darkroom when using Peter's solution is not really an option.

Thanks

Mike
Old 30th November 2010, 05:33 PM
Friend

Never used Peters formulation, but in the past I have used the tetenal sulphide toner, but stopped as the ''rotten eggs'' smell permeated though the house, and although I did'nt mind too much, saying the results were worth the smell, my better half complained, but never had any problems with fogging of paper stored in the darkroom,Richard
Old 30th November 2010, 06:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Dave this may have been covered eslewhere and if so apologies but any issues with smell( I can open the darkroom windows easily) and more importantly any problems with the famous alleged fogging of stored paper. Moving all paper out of the darkroom when using Peter's solution is not really an option.

Thanks

Mike
I keep my paper in the plastic bags that it is packed in so no fogging issues, and the smell isn't particularly noticeable.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:10 PM
Friend

Thanks Dave. I do the same in the main and the few in a papersafe can always be packed back into the bags. I make sure that the plastic bag is folded underneath and kept in the box that way so I should be OK.

It looks like the smell depends on one's nose. Some more affected than others. Solution might be to keep the darkroom door shut and darkroom windows open so I'll wait until this cold snap passes :

Mike
Old 30th November 2010, 07:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks Dave. I do the same in the main and the few in a papersafe can always be packed back into the bags. I make sure that the plastic bag is folded underneath and kept in the box that way so I should be OK.

It looks like the smell depends on one's nose. Some more affected than others. Solution might be to keep the darkroom door shut and darkroom windows open so I'll wait until this cold snap passes :

Mike
Or to use it outside and enjoy the sunshine.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:35 PM
Friend

I keep my papers in a separate room (without heating) but my darkroom ventilation is not good enough to disperse the fumes. Also I have permanent blackouts in place so can't open the windows.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:52 PM
Friend

Quote:

Mike
I prefer the results with sulphide toner, but I have no windows in my darkroom to open, so I have to keep the door open, and although I don't mind the smell my better half does, but maybe Peters toner does not smell as badly as the Tetenal, so I'll have to try it and see,Richard
Old 30th November 2010, 07:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Or to use it outside and enjoy the sunshine.
What Sunshine,? summer is long gone, even in Not so ''sunny'' Jersey
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies