Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th March 2011, 02:14 PM
Friend

Default Mount Cutting Suggestions - Help

I'm looking to mount my photographs (pre-cut aperture window mounts are too expensive and just not flexible for the sizes I like to use).

Looking for suggestions and options on how easy a particular product is like to use and it's flexibility.

Anyone with experience with the likes of Fletcher, Keencut, Logan etc. My max price around £250-£300 if I have too.

Most important is long-lasting durability and cost/available of blades. Thickness of card and must cut accuate - professional looking. Got desperate, tried it with stanley knife (yuck). The size of my prints range from 9x6 to 16x12 inches (my standard print paper is 12x9.5).

If there are any really simple and cheaper tools around please tell me!

Thanks everyone.
Old 26th March 2011, 04:27 PM
Friend

I use a Logan, sub £100 on ebay.
Old 26th March 2011, 04:27 PM
Friend

Larry I know a small-time picture framer and will ask him in the next few days about what he paid for his kit and what is available in your price range.

I suspect that good, easy to use and accurate gear is pretty expensive. Just look at the price of the bigger Rotatrim cutters and these are simpler machines than a frame cutter.

Mike
Old 26th March 2011, 04:37 PM
Friend

This LINK may help, it's a demo of the model I have and recommend.
Old 26th March 2011, 04:50 PM
Friend

I will checkout ebay thanks Dave for your podcast link. Mike would really appreciate you asking your friend.

This morning, I rec'd a Lion trade supplies catalogue and most of the frame shop type products are about £800-2000+VAT in the book. Nice to have but honestly way out of my current price range.

A few years ago, I saw a computer linked up to a laser guided mount cutter machine doing different size aperture windows on the same piece of cards.

Oh well, please keep your tips and suggestions coming.
Old 26th March 2011, 04:59 PM
Friend

Larry, I was afraid that you'd mention LION. That is where I think my friend the framer got his equipment from and I suspected it was the wrong side of £500 but didn't want to speculate on price.

However I will ask. Dave's kit looks pretty nifty for under a £100

Mike
Old 26th March 2011, 06:10 PM
Friend

Lion do a full range from the cheapest to the most expensive.

But I think the point is what is the largest size board you want to cut and what volume of mounts do you need to be able to cut. One a week is the territory of the hand cutter and 50 a week is the territory of a full professional cutter. The logans are in between.

You should first find out what size boards you are going to buy. That will tell you the longest size cut you will ever need to make. Then you buy a cutter that can cut that length or width as usually its the width that is the longest cut you will ever make. Simple except then you have to work out maximising usage of the full size boards otherwise you get a lot of wastage and whether its cheaper/easier to buy small boards in bigger multiples.

The logans are ideal. The 301 or one of the larger 700 series which have a square cut extension for cutting bigger boards down to size. Either way I think around £400 max or £100 for the smaller ones which can't cut full size or jumbo board down to size.

And if your cut windows are big enough then you can use what is cut out for matting smaller prints so you need to think it through.
Old 26th March 2011, 06:17 PM
Friend

I use a Longridge Duo. Easy and reliable to use and the company offer excellent after sales service.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 26th March 2011, 06:52 PM
Friend

I use a maped cutting system, simple and reasonable price, try silverprint,which is where I got mine from,Richard
Old 26th March 2011, 07:13 PM
Friend

Thanks, at least you've given me some options to consider including "Trevor's" Longridge brand.

Really like the idea by "Argentum" about "And if your cut windows are big enough then you can use what is cut out for matting smaller prints so you need to think it through."

My aim to produce about 10-15 matted prints a week most of them fairly small from tiny 7x5, 10x8 or mostly 12x9.5 papers so overall no bigger than a max of 16x12. Very rare to print anything bigger than 14x11.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies