Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th March 2014, 08:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The NT car parks are free if you are an NT member. The confusion arises because the ones near to Rydal at White Moss were taken back by the original owners, Lowther Estates I think, and it is they who have imposed the charges.

Bill
The Derwentwater NT car parks were charging NT members the last time I visited - albeit at a slightly reduced rate but as life long NT member it still grated!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th March 2014, 12:00 PM
Friend

Watch out for the car parks run by the Lake District park authority - They have climbed in to bed with Parking Eye (ex-wheel clamping cowboys) and now operate ANPR cameras at many of the LDNPA car parks.

Back to topic - Whilst not Borrowdale, Castlerigg stone circle is a short drive from Keswick. If you can get there before the tourists, a few rocks are lying around waiting to be photographed.
Old 28th March 2014, 04:06 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
The Derwentwater NT car parks were charging NT members the last time I visited - albeit at a slightly reduced rate but as life long NT member it still grated!

Neil.
Thanks for the warning Neil. I will have a look next time I am there.

Bill
Old 28th March 2014, 05:46 PM
Friend

Default lakes

If you fancy a day out Wasdale head is superb as is Buttermere, Ordanance Survey (AA walks maps places to see) do a very informative book. This book (used) on Amazon is 1 pence + P&P.

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 28th March 2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added text
Old 28th March 2014, 05:48 PM
Friend

A drive to the top of Hardknott pass is a once in a lifetime experience.
Old 28th March 2014, 06:21 PM
Friend

Traffic, car park fess or rain, don't let us put you off. It's a fantastic place to visit any time of the year if you like the great outdoors.
Old 28th March 2014, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Thanks for the warning Neil. I will have a look next time I am there.

Bill

Bill,

That was the case when I last visited - especially with the NT CPs that have a Derwentwater frontage. I did try remonstrating but I still had to pay Mind this seems to be a spreading menace as the same now applies to some of the Dartmoor NP car parks that used to be free

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 28th March 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 28th March 2014, 07:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Bill,

That was the case when I last visited - especially with the NT CPs that have a Derwentwater frontage. I did try remonstrating but I still had to pay Mind this seems to be a spreading menace as the same now applies to some of the Dartmoor NP car parks that used to be free

Neil.
I hadn't realised this either as a NT member. I wonder what NT's answer would be if asked to justify this? Can it be the popularity of the view? On that basis of supply and demand it seems to me that we are then only a short step away from charging for the most popular properties at say Bank Holidays or say charging for the most spectacular views from Castle Drago

Might be worth a question at the AGM?

Mike
Old 29th March 2014, 08:31 AM
Friend

Thanks for all the replies. We are both NT members, so parking fees shouldn't be too much of a problem and I will be aware of aggressive pensioners, particularly those wielding dangerous pro-grade DSLR's.

Castlerigg Stone Circle looks interesting. I believe there is also a disused slate quarry around there as well, but the name escapes me.

Last edited by Keith Tapscott.; 29th March 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 29th March 2014, 09:52 AM
Friend

The LDNPA car parks are a pain. They have machines which are supposed to take card payments but so far out of the three car parks I've been to recently (Glenridding and Grasmere areas) all three of them didn't work. Take plenty of £1 coins if you're planning to use them because they're not cheap.

Borrowdale is lovely but it's also reputedly the wettest place in England ...

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies