Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th April 2014, 12:44 PM
Friend

Default Ag photographic

I am sorry, that one of the first few posts i have put on here, has to be about one of FADU, sponsor / suppliers.

I placed an order with them, a couple of days ago, nothing out of the ordinary, developer, fixer, measuring beakers, jugs, film clips.

I would consider all these items to be basic items, that are always stocked, nothing on their website to say they are out of stock, so i was fully expecting the order to be delivered today.

I was looking forward to this weekend, as i assumed the items would arrive, so told my Grandchildren that we would develop some films this weekend, i have never let them down before, but on this occasion, i have had to.

I received an email yesterday, saying my order is PENDING, as items are out of stock, not stating WHICH items are out of stock. For a first order with them, this was not a small amount, it is £118, so i thought that they would have at least sent me the items that were in stock ????

I have emailed them twice to cancel this order, as they gave no indication, if or when these out of stock items would arrive. I also asked for the payment i made, to be refunded back to PAYPAL, again no reply, i have tried ringing them, cannot get through.

I feel very disappointed and let down by this company, as they have an association with FADU.

I am not a rich man, i am 64, disabled and cannot afford to get these items elsewhere, until i have had my money refunded by AG PHOTOGRAPHIC.

Dave
Old 4th April 2014, 01:56 PM
Friend

An update on my previous post. I have just heard from AG PHOTOGRAPHIC and have now received a refund.

I am not in anyway, saying they are a bad company, i am saying they should say on their website if an item is out of stock, which then gives you the option to go elsewhere.

But when you have gone through the process of ordering and in my case, paying through paypal, then to be told that item or items are out of stock, is very annoying, having to go through the process of cancelling and getting a refund.

Dave
Old 4th April 2014, 04:39 PM
Friend

Dave when you then heard from Ag did they not then say which items were out of stock and what the likely delivery date would be.

It is always annoying when you have set your heart on processing and my commiserations but it may be that unless the ingredients are on a long lead time that ordering from elsewhere might not be any quicker.

Were you able to find our eventually which items were out of stock? Were they ordinary chemicals or were they darkroom hardware items? If chemicals then were there any substitutes available?

Mike
Old 4th April 2014, 05:18 PM
Friend

I'm afraid it is typical of small setups that their website shops do not use very clever software and will just take money.

There is plenty of good software out there which means there is no excuse for an online shop not to display an "In Stock" notifiction.

Furthermore many small setups sell retail as well as online and their retail system is not linked to web system. When they sell retail stocking levels on website are not auto updated. This equates to poor stock control by the operators.

The best systems take your order and not your money until stock is picked for dispatch at which point confirmation of order is sent and money taken. Unfortunately too many online retailers go for free or cheap as chips software which lacks decent functionality. And they have poor in house procedures for stock control.

And the really bad ones don't carry any stock, take your order and money and then order in when they have enough customer money combined with enough orders to make it worth their effort.

Oh the joys of buying online.
Old 4th April 2014, 05:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I'm afraid it is typical of small setups that their website shops do not use very clever software and will just take money.

There is plenty of good software out there which means there is no excuse for an online shop not to display an "In Stock" notifiction.

Furthermore many small setups sell retail as well as online and their retail system is not linked to web system. When they sell retail stocking levels on website are not auto updated. This equates to poor stock control by the operators.

The best systems take your order and not your money until stock is picked for dispatch at which point confirmation of order is sent and money taken. Unfortunately too many online retailers go for free or cheap as chips software which lacks decent functionality. And they have poor in house procedures for stock control.

And the really bad ones don't carry any stock, take your order and money and then order in when they have enough customer money combined with enough orders to make it worth their effort.

Oh the joys of buying online.
Not in exactly the same words, but this is in essence what I was told by a sales rep from another supplier. I hope they'll get their act together sooner rather than later...
But then again I suppose we'll just have to put our orders in one or two months in advance!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 4th April 2014, 05:53 PM
Friend

P.S.

Well I actually read their terms and...

Their site does say they don't take money until order ready for dispatch. It also says that if you use the paypal option then payment is taken immediately by paypal regardless of stocking levels. So basically looks to me like they are happy to accept orders even when stock isn't available for immediate dispatch.
But reading their terms should have alerted you to that. i.e. READ THE TERMS before placing order and why you would use paypal when debit/credit card is available I have no idea.

So I think OP is at fault in that they didn't read terms, used paypal and has expectations which are unreasonable given the terms stated by the company so in this case I don't think Ag are to blame.
Old 4th April 2014, 06:39 PM
New User

Default AG Photographic

Well I too will make a first post,in defence of AG Photographic. I can't comment on their online sales,as i only live 2 miles from them,and pop in every 2 months or so.They do not have many staff,and those there are constantly working on mail order or in the lab. There are always piles of orders awaiting despatch and yes,it is a commercial enterprise,but one that is helping film photographers to carry on their passion,and we should welcome their efforts. Furthermore,their website clearly states on every page that payment is only taken on despatch EXCEPT for Paypal,which they state is for technical reasons. I feel sorry that Daver could not process his films with his grandchildren,but i don't think he read the terms properly.
Old 4th April 2014, 07:37 PM
Friend

I must admit that I had no idea that Ag's site doesn't have the ability to tell you on ordering that an item is out of stock. Certainly it still seems to tell you if an item is awaiting arrival. I am thinking here of the famous Ethol LPD developer which has been on order for a very long time.

I also have no idea what Matt's policy is if you decide to go ahead and place an order that includes both items in stock and out of stock.

Does Ag despatch those items in stock, charge for them only and then send the rest when it has stock? I presume that the on-cost to the customer is that if items are sent in two or even three batches then the customer incurs a postage cost each time which might add up to more than is the case if all items are in stock and can be sent at the same time?

A pity if the stock situation doesn't show up when ordering online. At least that way you can decide your options are there and then.

Unfortunately Paypal is instant which gives rise to problems if some of the items are delayed several days or more as the money has gone instantly and the items may be several days or even a week or so behind.

Going into Matt's shop solves everything but so few of us have that option unless we live in the Brum area

Mike
Old 4th April 2014, 09:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I must admit that I had no idea that Ag's site doesn't have the ability to tell you on ordering that an item is out of stock. Certainly it still seems to tell you if an item is awaiting arrival.
Mike
As far as I can see, the issue of customers not being able to see what's on stock and stock levels is just about the same everywhere, fairly nonexistent.
As for the notification of items being out of stock temporarily or otherwise, it appears to be very inconsistent in my experience.

In my case, it took more than 2 weeks before I heard anything and this response was only prompted after I'd sent an email. The initial reply was only to state the obvious, before informing me of a further 3 week delay.

The point being, I wouldn't have minded anywhere near as much IF I had been well-informed in the first place (preferably by the website) and kept up-to-date.

O.K. Rant over

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 4th April 2014, 10:00 PM
Friend

Default On Line Ordering

The matter of some items being out of stock and no mention made on the website, is one very good reason why I will not order on line. Apart from any security risk that may be involved (I know the risk is slight but if they can hack into the Pentagon website commercial ones will be easy).

I always ring up to place my order. If they don't answer, that's their loss I will go elsewhere.

In fact I find Process Supplies in London to be a far easier company to deal with and their prices on some things are a little cheaper than the others that deal with film developers printing papers etc etc.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies