Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th August 2015, 08:00 AM
Friend

Default Prescysol

I have not used this developer for several years. Is it still available and if so, does any member currently use it ?
Old 27th August 2015, 12:49 PM
Friend

It looks like Peter Hogan still supplies it.

http://www.monochromephotography.com/photo_3401806.html

I have not used it for a long time either.

Regards
Les
Old 27th August 2015, 03:22 PM
Friend

Default Prescysol

Thanks Les. I did send him a message but have not yet received a reply. I have not used any chemicals for about 8 years due to a bereavement and feel ready to try and start again but have, in the meantime, been overtaken by the digital revolution although I have had no part in it ! Perhaps I might be better advised to use a more "run of the mill" developer to start off with.
Old 27th August 2015, 03:49 PM
Friend

It looks as if you can simply order it online by going to the shop and adding to the cart.

It seems as if there is a standard postage cost about £5.50 which is quite high for some items but a little more worrying than this is that the cost of about £5.50 applies to each item so order three items and the postage is over £15

If you do order stuff it might be that Peter Hogan combines postage for multiple orders but there is no sign of this that I can see i.e. the site doesn't automatically combine the postage based on my experimental order.

I'd certainly try contacting him first. At that rate an order of 10 items could cost well over £50 postage

Mike
Old 27th August 2015, 05:58 PM
Friend

I use it all the time and usually order on line and it comes through in a day or two. I guess it is a bit dearer than other developers but it is a small proportion of the cost of a print (especially if you waste as much paper as I do!). Peter does normally reply to any email queries.

Tony
Old 27th August 2015, 09:09 PM
Friend

Tony, do you order several items at once or just Prescysol? If you do order several items do you get a cheaper combined postage or does it tot-up on a per item basis?

Thanks

Mike
Old 29th August 2015, 07:01 AM
Friend

Another question, I am afraid ! I find that I have bottles of "EF" partially used. A posting in 2009 says that bottle "B" will last indefinitely which brings me to ask what the keeping properties of bottle "A" are likely to be ?
Old 29th August 2015, 04:42 PM
Friend

I usually order only one item at a time but I think he may charge postage on each item if more than one ordered. It would be worth taking this up with him after all he needs customers.
The life of the part A is at least 6 months and I have found it is still the pale straw colour which indicates it is still alright. Probably after a year it has gone dark brown which shows that it is off. I keep mine in the dark and fill the opened bottle with Tetnal protection gas. The part B is a saturated solution and the chemical can crystallise out if it is kept in a cool place. These crystals must be dissolved again again by vigorous shaking. I give mine about a minute or two in the microwave to warm it up.

Tony
Old 29th August 2015, 06:27 PM
Friend

Default Prescysol

Have used both standard Prescysol and EF version. Found that bottle A of EF version does not keep as well as bottle A of non EF version. Always agitate bottle B for at least two minutes or blast in micro wave for 15 to 20 seconds if precipitate is present. Always use Tetenal Protectan before sealing bottle A.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies