Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th May 2019, 11:47 AM
Friend

Default Anti-newton glass substitute

I read some where a long time ago that you can substitute anti-newton ring glass with normal glass sprayed with hair spray. Has anyone tried this? Could opitical perspex be used instead of glass in a negative carrier?
Old 15th May 2019, 01:25 PM
Friend

Norm, that hair spray thing just sounds like a really bad idea. First of all, it would never deposit on the glass in an even layer, but would land in droplets and would never be smooth and flat. Secondly, it probably isn't perfectly clear; as in optically clear. Third, it may well leave gummy residue on your precious negs. My wife uses it occasionally, and the bathroom window directly behind where she sprays it gets gummed up with big amber-coloured splatter droplets of the stuff.

It is handy in the workshop though, when you want a low-strength spray adhesive An old skier's trick when shortening a pair of ski poles, is to knock the grips off, cut the poles to length, and glue the grips back on with hairspray. Works great.

As for acrylic, I'd worry about fine scratch marks from cleaning. It would be softer than glass. Otherwise, wouldn't its smooth surface also be susceptible to Newton rings?
Old 15th May 2019, 01:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Norm, that hair spray thing just sounds like a really bad idea. First of all, it would never deposit on the glass in an even layer, but would land in droplets and would never be smooth and flat. Secondly, it probably isn't perfectly clear; as in optically clear. Third, it may well leave gummy residue on your precious negs. My wife uses it occasionally, and the bathroom window directly behind where she sprays it gets gummed up with big amber-coloured splatter droplets of the stuff.

It is handy in the workshop though, when you want a low-strength spray adhesive An old skier's trick when shortening a pair of ski poles, is to knock the grips off, cut the poles to length, and glue the grips back on with hairspray. Works great.

As for acrylic, I'd worry about fine scratch marks from cleaning. It would be softer than glass. Otherwise, wouldn't its smooth surface also be susceptible to Newton rings?
After a little research I discovered that you can get anti reflective glass or perspex. I am just putting ideas together for making a 6x9 and a 4x5 negative carrier with a top glass for my Omega D2 enlarger. Also I believe that there is a spray can product available similar idea to hair spray. My wife does not use the stuff but my friends wife does. Next time I visit I will experiment, (with the glass not my friends wife)
Old 15th May 2019, 01:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Norm, that hair spray thing just sounds like a really bad idea. First of all, it would never deposit on the glass in an even layer, but would land in droplets and would never be smooth and flat. Secondly, it probably isn't perfectly clear; as in optically clear. Third, it may well leave gummy residue on your precious negs. My wife uses it occasionally, and the bathroom window directly behind where she sprays it gets gummed up with big amber-coloured splatter
The way to do it is to spray a blast of hairspray in the air and waft your sheet of glass through it.
Old 15th May 2019, 02:06 PM
Friend

If you're in an experimental mood, you might consider visiting your local framing shop and asking them to cut you a small piece of anti-reflective glass, also called "Art Glass". I tried it on my scanner as a way to get the negs flat, and it seemed to be very benign in that it did not optically degrade the image sharpness.
Old 15th May 2019, 04:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
If you're in an experimental mood, you might consider visiting your local framing shop and asking them to cut you a small piece of anti-reflective glass, also called "Art Glass". I tried it on my scanner as a way to get the negs flat, and it seemed to be very benign in that it did not optically degrade the image sharpness.
Anti-reflective glass sounds ideal. Thank you.
Old 23rd June 2019, 09:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have to second this, I was in your boat less than 2 weeks ago and dug around on all the forums for a solution. Tried a few and anti-reflective glass worked the best. Make sure the matte side is facing down. I saw a slight increase in "grain" (possible its just the type of glass I bought, the matte surface may be a bit too harsh) which you may experience. Looking very closely I also noticed that some newton like shapes did still form in very dim and small amounts (barely noticeable) but the matte surface just sort of washed most of them out. Pressure, humidity and paper type will be a few factors you may need to play around with until you get something that works for you.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies