Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th September 2009, 04:33 PM
Friend

Question Paper Washers.

Having used a Paterson 12" x 10" washer and a Paterson High-Speed Washer which accepts 12" x 16" papers for years, I am thinking about getting a vertical slot washer like those made by Nova, but they`re darned expensive.
Are there any washers similar to the Nova`s but not quite so expensive?
Old 6th September 2009, 04:42 PM
Friend

Nothing that springs to mind with me I'm afraid.

I wouldn't rule out Novas as they are really good; I've been using two of them for years and couldn't imagine doing FB prints without them :-) No need to buy new as they turn up second hand from time to time. I got my last one from SDS (one of our sponsors) for about 50% of the new price. There are no working parts of course so as long as they are not cracked it will be fine. And even if they do get cracked (my wife had an accident with one of ours!) you can soon repair them with some special glue from Nova.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th September 2009, 05:39 PM
Friend

Keith, as Neil said they do turn up SH from time to time so buying one from a reputable supplier could help ease the financial pain I bought a 12x16 washer made by Silverprint a couple of years ago and I must say it is a good investment, well designed and made. If I don't drop it should see me out
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th September 2009, 05:56 PM
Friend

I thought mine was expensive when I brought it some 12 years ago, but it continues to give good service, so gets cheaper as the years roll by.
Peter Hogan said he builds them for a material cost of about £60, so that may be an option.
Mine is a Nova unit, but if I were buying today I would go for the Silverprint model as it is said to give a better circulation patten than the Nova.
Old 6th September 2009, 05:56 PM
Friend

I have a 12X16 Nova washmaster.
Bougtht it 10 years ago and, along with my 12X16 Quad "slotty thing" and the RH designs stopclock are the best investments I've made - drop some christmas hints!!

Andrew B
Old 6th September 2009, 06:35 PM
Friend

I have been keeping an eye out for a Nova archival washer, they do come up from time to time but most people will not post and so far they have all been a bit to far away to make it worth while.
The last one I seen on ebay was a Nova Washmaster II it went for £120 which is a good buy, but it was in London, I have seen several come up in or around London. Another thing to remember is if someone will post, as far as I could work out most delivery options will not insure glass, perspex etc and the way a large quantity of my parcels arrive I don't think they would survive the treatment.

Neil
Old 6th September 2009, 06:50 PM
Friend

My washer came to me by post/courier, and that's certainly the way Nova send them. They are quite easy to pack since the dividers are removable.

I have sent Nova slot processors through parcel post system without any problem again that's how it would come if you brought one from Nova.
Old 6th September 2009, 07:03 PM
Friend

Yes all my Novas - slotty things and slotty thing washers - have arrived by post without any undue problems. As long as they are well packed they will get to you OK :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th September 2009, 08:26 PM
Friend

I see Silverprint no longer post their washers. However when I purchased mine from them, they sent it by courier, but as I said that was a couple of years ago.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th September 2009, 11:34 PM
Friend

I know they can be sent through the post, I was just pointing out the enquiries I made seemed to suggest they wouldn't be covered by insurance if damaged, only if lost. Which was worrying for such an expensive item.
Though I would like to point out my enquiries were not exhaustive, so there could be an option that I didn't find. If anybody knows if they can be sent insured for damage please let me know I would be grateful to find out.

Neil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies