Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2009, 02:02 PM
Friend

Question Technical problems with web site

Is it just me or are other people having problems with the site lately?

1. I find it quite slow to load after entering the URL (not very problematic).
2. Sometimes when I log in, a message appears thanking me for logging in and asking me to wait while I'm redirected. When I'm finally redirected, I haven't been logged in at all.

Am I not liked?

www.flickr.com/photos/toffeezebra/
Old 18th February 2009, 02:12 PM
Friend

I'm noticing the same thing myself, especially the logging in bit, and even though I always click remember me it very rarely does, Nice to kinow it's not just me,Richard
Old 18th February 2009, 03:05 PM
Friend

its seems to have been slow since the weekend and especially slow today
Old 18th February 2009, 03:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I'm noticing the same thing myself, especially the logging in bit, and even though I always click remember me it very rarely does, Nice to kinow it's not just me,Richard
The remember me check box only works if you a) you allow permanent cookies and b) you haven't set your browser to clear all cookies or private data when you close the browser. Otherwise the bit that remembers (which is the cookie) gets deleted from your pc.
Old 18th February 2009, 03:19 PM
Friend

You can check where the snarl up is happening by going to your dos/command prompt and typing:

tracert www.www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk

it will give a list of numbers and servers. If says timeout then there is a problem/slow response along the path to this website.

I currently always get a timeout just before server 213.171.217.3 which belongs to the webhost of this website so I strongly suspect it is one the hosts servers which is slow but it could also be due to slow database or a host(pun intended) of other things.

But if you get timeouts elsewhere in the route to this website, then its something you should alert your ISP to.

tiemouts are indicated by asterisks *

Last edited by Argentum; 18th February 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 18th February 2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

As Rob says, deleting or not allowing cookies (these are just a couple of small text files that are stored on your computer) will cause all sorts of odd things to occur. For security/privacy I disable third-party cookies but most sites these days use session cookies and other types to do things like keep you logged-in etc.

Experience suggests that most problems people have logging in and staying logged in are related to cookies.
Old 18th February 2009, 04:49 PM
Friend

The slow loading problem is with our host's servers. They are working to overcome it.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The slow loading problem is with our host's servers. They are working to overcome it.
Dave, is the logging in problem a separate problem do you think? Not very technical myself, but sounds unconnected to me.

www.flickr.com/photos/toffeezebra/
Old 18th February 2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Yes: almost certainly different things.

A few things to try for the logging-in issue:
  • Make sure your browser is accepting cookies. In Internet Explorer go to the Tools menu; select Internet Options. In the window that pops open, select the Privacy tab and set the slider to Medium if it is not already there. In Firefox, select Tools > Options. Select Privacy and make sure "Accept cookies from sites" is selected.
  • Select the "Remember Me?" box when you log in to the forum.
As long as these two are done, the forum should remember you until you hit the "Log out" link (even if you shut down your computer, it will remember you next time you come to the site - that is the job of the cookie).

If this does not correct the problem, try deleting the cookies - sometimes cookies get out of sync with the web site they belong to and stop working.
In IE go to Tools > Internet Options again and in the Browsing History section of the General tab, click the Delete button. In the window that pops open, click on the Delete Cookies button and confirm.
Old 18th February 2009, 09:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Yes: almost certainly different things.

A few things to try for the logging-in issue:
  • In Firefox, select Tools > Options. Select Privacy and make sure "Accept cookies from sites" is selected.
Also in firefox make sure that cookies are set to "keep until they expire" and also set "clear my private data when I close Firefox" to off.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies