Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd December 2019, 05:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Some lens tests here: https://kievaholic.com/lenstests2.html

Bronica 50mm and the Distagon are included.
Thanks, Svend. Interesting reading. What a mammoth task!
Jonathan
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Thanks, Svend. Interesting reading. What a mammoth task!
Jonathan
No kidding!

I have since taken a closer look at the test images there, and despite the author's disclaimer about the limitations of his testing of the Bronica lenses (no mount adaptor; lens hand-held against the camera body), I thought the Bronicas acquited themselves remarkably well. I mean, just look at the 80mm Bronica compared to the Hasselblad Planar directly below it. I can't tell the difference. Amazing really.

Since you're interested in improving edge sharpness of the 50mm, you'll be keen to review the results on the wide angle page. The Schneiders seem to do very well. Can you get one in a Hasselblad mount?

Edit: upon a closer look, the best for edge sharpness at f11 seem to be the Bronica 40, the Zeiss Jenas, and the Schneiders. Interesting test...

Last edited by Svend; 3rd December 2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I'm quite happy to focus manually, using a £10 B&Q laser distance measurer, so I don't need a reflex camera.
I wonder if a Mamiya Super 23 with a 6x6 back and wide angle might work well for you? Their lenses are said to be excellent.

Or perhaps even better, a Speed Graphic or Century Graphic or similar with 6x6 roll film back and Schneider lens. You could use the movements for perspective correction, and the camera would still be relatively compact when folded.

Finally, have you considered the Rolleiflex SL66? Their lenses are also Zeiss-made, but with the advantage that they ride on a lens board and therefore have no internal moving elements (better performance?). Bruce Robbins has one -- you might ask him how good the Distagon is on that camera, if he's used it. These cameras sell for reasonable money right now....less than Hasselblad I think.

Lots of options. Too bad you weren't closer or I would lend you my C330 and the 55 lens to try out.

Last edited by Svend; 3rd December 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 6th December 2019, 07:20 AM
Friend

Have you considered an RB67 and their 50 mm ?

Its another mechanical camera - although very different in feel to the Blad.

There are plenty of well cared for examples of both the body and lens out there.

You can probably pick both the camera and lens up for less than a Blad lens.

I'm happy with mine - but I only ever shoot well stopped down.

Martin
Old 6th December 2019, 08:20 PM
Friend

This is the trouble with a "rigid" requirement, I suppose the question would not be posted where there to be obvious alternatives.
6x7 is an opened route to the Fuji WA RF's.
Old 6th December 2019, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No kidding!

I have since taken a closer look at the test images there, and despite the author's disclaimer about the limitations of his testing of the Bronica lenses (no mount adaptor; lens hand-held against the camera body), I thought the Bronicas acquited themselves remarkably well. I mean, just look at the 80mm Bronica compared to the Hasselblad Planar directly below it. I can't tell the difference. Amazing really.

Since you're interested in improving edge sharpness of the 50mm, you'll be keen to review the results on the wide angle page. The Schneiders seem to do very well. Can you get one in a Hasselblad mount?

Edit: upon a closer look, the best for edge sharpness at f11 seem to be the Bronica 40, the Zeiss Jenas, and the Schneiders. Interesting test...
I was surprised to see that the 40mm Zenza-Bronica appeared sharper than the 50mm - especially wide open. He does point out that he didn't have an adaptor for the Bronica lenses so that may be a factor. I recently got a 40mm S version to add to my (somewhat war-torn) 50mm and was expecting at least some drop in quality but, from that test at least, it appears not.
Old 7th December 2019, 04:01 AM
Friend

Bob, it'll be interesting to hear if your real-world experience with these two lenses gives you the same impression, that the 40 is the better lens. Were you expecting the opposite?

Given that there was no Bronica adaptor, it's remarkable that he was able to hold the lenses so steady. BTW, I noticed that the Bronica test results were quite consistent, which makes me think the lack of an adaptor was not really a factor after all (e.g. the 40mm was consistently sharper at the edge over multiple f-stops). That, and some of the other focal lengths showed the Bronicas to be some of the sharpest in the test, despite being handheld. Good one!
Old 13th December 2019, 03:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
............Finally, have you considered the Rolleiflex SL66? Their lenses are also Zeiss-made, but with the advantage that they ride on a lens board and therefore have no internal moving elements (better performance?). Bruce Robbins has one -- you might ask him how good the Distagon is on that camera, if he's used it. These cameras sell for reasonable money right now....less than Hasselblad I think......
As far as I know, the SL66 Distagon is the same lens as the early Hasselblad Distagons, so the OP would be no better off. There is a much later Zeiss 60mm f/3.5 but it's rare and expensive. The Mamiya 7 might be cheap in comparison!
Old 13th December 2019, 11:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Bob, it'll be interesting to hear if your real-world experience with these two lenses gives you the same impression, that the 40 is the better lens. Were you expecting the opposite?

Given that there was no Bronica adaptor, it's remarkable that he was able to hold the lenses so steady. BTW, I noticed that the Bronica test results were quite consistent, which makes me think the lack of an adaptor was not really a factor after all (e.g. the 40mm was consistently sharper at the edge over multiple f-stops). That, and some of the other focal lengths showed the Bronicas to be some of the sharpest in the test, despite being handheld. Good one!
Back in the late 1970's early 80's a professional photographer friend used Bronica S2a cameras for his 120 work, the rest was LF. Despite Bronica lenses then coming from CZJ, Komura and Nikon, they were all excellent. So I used the CZJ 50mm a few times and it was a superb lens, I guess Bronica selected the best.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies