Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th February 2020, 10:40 AM
Friend

Wow £14 a roll of 35mm/120
Stock up lads, at that price it will be a flash in the pan and disscontinued before you know it, the doubter in me thinks was it discontinued to cause panic so they could basically double the price
Everything from Japan seems to have gone up, look at the prices on ebay for second hand cameras from there, the yanks are the same too
They must think we are stupid in the UK, i give them a wide berth and hopefully everyone else does too
After my 10 reels of frozen acros have gone it,s back to fp4+ 120
Think i will stick with ilford and kodak from now on

Last edited by paddy; 29th February 2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 29th February 2020, 10:44 AM
Friend

The photographers gallery has it here for £10 a roll in 35mm and 120
https://bookshop.thephotographersgal...10-00-incl-vat
Old 29th February 2020, 01:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Wow £14 a roll of 35mm/120
Stock up lads, at that price it will be a flash in the pan and disscontinued before you know it, the doubter in me thinks was it discontinued to cause panic so they could basically double the price
Everything from Japan seems to have gone up, look at the prices on ebay for second hand cameras from there, the yanks are the same too
They must think we are stupid in the UK, i give them a wide berth and hopefully everyone else does too
After my 10 reels of frozen acros have gone it,s back to fp4+ 120
Think i will stick with ilford and kodak from now on
this is crazy!!!!!!

i wish i bought some 120 5 packs before it stopped. ive just finished my last pack as well. its great for nighttime photography.
Old 29th February 2020, 02:29 PM
Friend

Paddy your sentiments accord with mine. The problem with those who say they'll pay a kings ransom is two fold

1. It is hot air with some and they will not actually pay it or will cut their consumption of the product
2. Those who genuinely will pay such a price are nowhere near big enough as a group to sustain the new product

I cannot believe that Fuji has based its decision on those few but of course we have no way of knowing what Fuji charges it main distributors/buyers

In the thread I quoted from a seller on Photrio he was able to obtain a 15% discount on a fairly large minimum order(300) and the price worked out at about £6.50 a roll - just about reasonable for me.

Clearly at an order of 300 rolls I would doubt that he deals direct with Fuji but whoever his seller is, it can still make a profit on a price of £6.50 so his seller who may well deal directly with Fuji gets the film for less than £6.50

So now we are getting closer to what Fuji may charge for its film and given the trend in "new" film prices such as Ilford 80 Ortho Plus and the rise in price of C41 film then it just might be that with a small additional margin of profit at the retailer end the market may have to bear a price of say £7 - £7.50 a roll and it may be possible to sustain large enough sales on this kind of price chain

I too have used Acros in 120 and while it was an OK film it was never going to persuade me to part with what I think will be the new retail price for Acros II which is essentially the same film as Acros.

Lack of reciprocity failure up to 2 minutes is its only real advantage for me on paper and its one I have never needed

So unless I am in for the surprise of the century in terms of the U.K. retail price then Fuji has lost me as a customer

Mike
Old 29th February 2020, 02:59 PM
Friend

Yes they have lost me as a customer too
I was given the acros for free 2 years before expiry and froze it straight away. it will be used for portraits
I still like provia though so hopefully that wont become an arm and a leg to buy
I know due to the digital popularity film would take a bashing but this is madness, Ilford dont charge these prices or kodak either
look at the prices on ebay from japan for everything, even jap equipment
Everyone is out to take the p**s on ebay now that you rarely get a bargain anymore, greed is everywhere
Someone wants £75 for a used paterson minor focus finder on ebay FFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Paddy your sentiments accord with mine. The problem with those who say they'll pay a kings ransom is two fold

1. It is hot air with some and they will not actually pay it or will cut their consumption of the product
2. Those who genuinely will pay such a price are nowhere near big enough as a group to sustain the new product

I cannot believe that Fuji has based its decision on those few but of course we have no way of knowing what Fuji charges it main distributors/buyers

In the thread I quoted from a seller on Photrio he was able to obtain a 15% discount on a fairly large minimum order(300) and the price worked out at about £6.50 a roll - just about reasonable for me.

Clearly at an order of 300 rolls I would doubt that he deals direct with Fuji but whoever his seller is, it can still make a profit on a price of £6.50 so his seller who may well deal directly with Fuji gets the film for less than £6.50

So now we are getting closer to what Fuji may charge for its film and given the trend in "new" film prices such as Ilford 80 Ortho Plus and the rise in price of C41 film then it just might be that with a small additional margin of profit at the retailer end the market may have to bear a price of say £7 - £7.50 a roll and it may be possible to sustain large enough sales on this kind of price chain

I too have used Acros in 120 and while it was an OK film it was never going to persuade me to part with what I think will be the new retail price for Acros II which is essentially the same film as Acros.

Lack of reciprocity failure up to 2 minutes is its only real advantage for me on paper and its one I have never needed

So unless I am in for the surprise of the century in terms of the U.K. retail price then Fuji has lost me as a customer

Mike
Old 29th February 2020, 08:54 PM
Friend

Agree with the above. It's excellent film, with unique tonality and great reciprocity performance, but it's not worth double what pretty much all other b&w films cost here. I'm happy to keep using Ilford and Kodak, thanks.
Old 29th February 2020, 09:20 PM
Friend

I have never used across, but I have esed Neopan 400 and it was a lovely film, but I would not pay that amount for 1 roll of across, I will stay with my Fomapan, thanks
Richard
Old 1st March 2020, 06:22 PM
Friend

Most photographers praise the Acros as best filmever made for the reasons, which Svend stated. I prefer the old silver emulsions, therefore never used it. But whatever, I am glad Fuji brings it back. That's just good news. But will be interesting whether the price will be adjusted later on.
Frank
Old 1st March 2020, 09:10 PM
Friend

It is a lovely film, one of my favourites, but at that price it's really not worth it for me. I've still got 20 rolls of the original Acros in the freezer which I'm saving for a trip to Scotland in the spring. When that's gone it's back to Pan F+ for my slower film. After all, if the reports are correct, it's made in the same factory in Cheshire.
Old 1st March 2020, 09:30 PM
Friend

I’ve had good results with this film for night photography. The ability to make quite long exposures without correction is an advantage. For daylight work, Ilford Delta 100 gives equally good results. It’s also excellent for night photography, but requires the normal corrections for long exposures. It’s good to have Acros available for night work, but quite pricey now if that’s all you do.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies