Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th April 2021, 01:51 PM
Friend

Default Do you spread the word?

I met a fellow film camera enthusiast today, he is a signal man working in Nottinghamshire. Arthur was operating one of the few railway crossings left that require a person to open and close barriers (gates) manually. Whilst waiting for a train we got talking about film cameras and he has quite a collection. He had not heard about FADU, if I meet a fellow film enthusiast I always point them to this website, do you spread the word that this site exists and film photography is still going strong?
Old 19th April 2021, 02:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I met a fellow film camera enthusiast today, he is a signal man working in Nottinghamshire. Arthur was operating one of the few railway crossings left that require a person to open and close barriers (gates) manually. Whilst waiting for a train we got talking about film cameras and he has quite a collection. He had not heard about FADU, if I meet a fellow film enthusiast I always point them to this website, do you spread the word that this site exists and film photography is still going strong?
If I have a camera with me I do try and engage, although I suspect some people are not particularly interested in forums. Due to where I often photograph I tend to get asked about the local wildlife and birds or occasionally some question about the tides or water quality etc more than "what are you doing with that old camera..."

As it happens I was in Derbyshire for a short stay last autumn and spotted someone with a medium format SLR, I think a Bronica, and thought about going over to say hello, but I didn't have a camera with me.
Old 19th April 2021, 05:50 PM
Friend

I would have spread the word at least until covid-19 prevented me from spreading anything except butter over my bread but since seeing a you lady with a film camera on Grosmont station on the N Yorks railway in June 2012 I have seen a film user to spread any word

Mike
Old 19th April 2021, 06:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I would have spread the word at least until covid-19 prevented me from spreading anything except butter over my bread but since seeing a you lady with a film camera on Grosmont station on the N Yorks railway in June 2012 I have seen a film user to spread any word

Mike
The last person I saw out with a camera was someone sporting a full-frame type Canon DSLR. Film cameras rare, the occasional Leica, maybe a student or two with an old SLR. Last year I did spot someone in the distance with some kind of large format or pinhole camera.
Old 19th April 2021, 08:26 PM
Friend

Yes, Tom, without wishing to sound like a dismal Jimmy it looks as if your experience, mine and a member from Germany on another site are all similar but seemingly not reflective of the general "good news" trend for increasing film sales that seems to have been on-going for a couple of years

We just live in and visit the wrong places

Mike
Old 20th April 2021, 08:49 AM
Friend

This was done (by me) at the request of Dave Miller when FADU was first formed. All the available mags were sent a news flyer as well as the RPS etc. Responses were good and this certainly helped FADU to get-off the ground. The original flyer used to be available to download by mrembers in the hope they would be able help spread the word.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th April 2021, 03:18 PM
Friend

Default Spread The Gospel!

There are some who desperately seek out information and FADU has always come up with a solution (sometimes several). I did mention it a while back to an acquaintance and the response |I got was 'I am a member of the Amateur Photographer forum and I get all my information from there.' (Or something similar).

I used to be a member of the same forum tool, but that was many years ago and then it was a bit of a bear pit with, ignorance about what was being asked, sarcasm, rudeness, intemperate language, all very juvenile and totally un-called for, so I stopped using it. It appeared to be unmoderated and things could get out of hand quite easily with the keyboard warriors, who I would hazard a guess had never taken a decent photograph all their lives.
Old 20th April 2021, 04:48 PM
Friend

I would if I saw anyone else using a film camera but apart from the course I did a few years ago I haven't met anyone else.

David
Old 20th April 2021, 07:18 PM
Friend

Yes. My older son’s partner is keen on using film, so I have supplied her with equipment and encouragement. We are going to be developing film together soon, so that she can see how it all works.
My younger son has reclaimed his childhood Zenith, and has started developing his own film. He put the first one through the fixer first, but that hasn’t put him off.
I haven’t seen anyone out and about with a film camera recently, but I sold some on eBay last week and there was plenty of interest.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21st April 2021, 05:11 PM
Friend

Rest assured gentlemen (and ladies).

Since the London Independent Photography Film and Darkroom group was formed in January 2019, we have had a small but steady flow of (mostly younger) people joining our group. Up until lockdown, when face-to-face meetings had to cease, the group had some 30 or so members, with a strong cohort of about 15 who regularly attended our meetings. We currently meet on Zoom (highly unsatisfactory), but still have new members joining.

I'm not too sure how the new members get to know about the group – but someone out there is spreading the word!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies