Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th August 2021, 10:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
mine's in the post
Richard
Just arrived here (full marks to the postal service - 1 day from Jersey to Co. Antrim!).

Richard, this is a special exchange round for you after your health issues; and you have certainly sent me three special square prints of scenes on a Jersey beach. You didn't use a filter but the skies really stand out, giving each print a lovely lightness, along with the warm tone you have given.

I am very grateful for these and hope that you will continue to get back to full health. I will treasure these and look after them.

Mo bheannacht ort.
Old 20th August 2021, 03:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
My print went to the post this morning.
And your print was received yesterday - another one day delivery by the Royal Mail.

I have left it until today to comment, so that I could give the print a second fresh look.

After re-reading Michael's lovely hand written note and then looking at the print once more, I can imagine how he struggled to make a good print. For he says that he had to make a print from 'a rather too dense negative', but liking the subject, he 'decided to give it a go'. I think we can all say we've done this at least once Michael.

You say that you used FP4+ film, and gave lens details Michael, but there is no mention of the camera or film developer used. Can you enlighten me?

Well, overall I think you've done a good job, although it might be considered a tad too dark overall for some tastes, but I like a darker print. Despite using a grade 00 filter, a few smaller areas have lost detail and are solid black and Michael says that he had trouble getting some tone in the sky as well. I think by now, a lot of us would have given up!

The print has been made on one of my favourite papers, Art 300, so is lovely to hold to look at and I think that it suits the subject well.

So thanks for all the effort you put into making it Michael, it's much appreciated, and don't worry too much about the scan, they rarely compare to the print in the hand.

Terry S
Old 20th August 2021, 03:41 PM
Friend

Ah, the Summitar is a 50mm Leica lens - so I used a screwmount Leica, in this case my IIIf.

Film given standard development, 8' in Ilfotec HC 1:32.

Terry S, your summary of my notes is useful and I'll refer people to it when putting up my scan this evening. Thank you for that.
Old 20th August 2021, 06:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Just arrived here (full marks to the postal service - 1 day from Jersey to Co. Antrim!).

Richard, this is a special exchange round for you after your health issues; and you have certainly sent me three special square prints of scenes on a Jersey beach. You didn't use a filter but the skies really stand out, giving each print a lovely lightness, along with the warm tone you have given.

I am very grateful for these and hope that you will continue to get back to full health. I will treasure these and look after them.

Mo bheannacht ort.
That has to be a record, Glad you liked them, It was good taking part again in this months exchange, things are slowly getting back to normal, and I have now been discharged from the stroke after casre clinic, so all goes well
Richard
Old 21st August 2021, 12:56 PM
Friend

Richard - I may be wrong, but I was browsing this months work and I believe that you have uploaded 3 pictures for this round, but this includes a picture for this round twice...

Terry S
Old 21st August 2021, 02:32 PM
Friend

Yesd, just had a look and your right, I got something wrong, I will try and load the correct third picture as soon as I get 5 minutes, I have spent today getting my classic car ready for display tomorrow, the first time in 2 years.
Richard
Old 21st August 2021, 02:35 PM
Friend

Sorry, I have scanned the same print twice, and don'tn have another copy, so I will have to delete one and leave them at 2
Richard
Old 21st August 2021, 03:38 PM
Friend

Richard, I could scan the third one if you like; but I think it's one of those you put in one of the galleries a while back. You could maybe copy it from there?
Old 21st August 2021, 04:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Richard, I could scan the third one if you like; but I think it's one of those you put in one of the galleries a while back. You could maybe copy it from there?
Thanks Michael, if you could scan it for me and put it up it would be great, I don't quite know how I got it wron, maybe claim a senior moment, plus I am rather out of practise, it's been nearly 3 months since I last scaned anything
Richard
Old 21st August 2021, 06:31 PM
Friend

I'll try to get that done tomorrow, Richard.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies