Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th November 2010, 02:44 PM
Friend

Default 5 x 7 developing tank?

Having just renovated an old mahogany and brass half frame camera I 've started developing 5 x 7 sheet film in a Paterson rotary processor. The problem is that the plastic blades under the lid are leaving marks on the film. I have read about this problem but not encountered it when developing 5 x 4 film. Maybe I could cut the blades off but the processor only takes two sheets at a time and I wonder if anyone can recommend an alternate daylight tank that takes more sheets?

Alan
Old 7th November 2010, 02:56 PM
Friend

I think Jobo made on but I cannot remember the model number.
Old 7th November 2010, 03:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Having just renovated an old mahogany and brass half frame camera I 've started developing 5 x 7 sheet film in a Paterson rotary processor. The problem is that the plastic blades under the lid are leaving marks on the film. I have read about this problem but not encountered it when developing 5 x 4 film. Maybe I could cut the blades off but the processor only takes two sheets at a time and I wonder if anyone can recommend an alternate daylight tank that takes more sheets?

Alan
Alan, Jobo do the Expert 3005 drum that will processes up to 5 sheets of 8x10 film. I have one but have never used it, except for tests, I prefer the Paterson Orbital - does less but I don't mind taking a little longer.

You could look to one of their print tanks - I've used one for processing two sheets of 8x10 film.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 7th November 2010, 04:09 PM
Friend

Thanks guys.
Trevor, have you removed the plastic fins from your Paterson? I agree it is very convenient to use and if I can get mine to work properly may get another, to speed up the job a bit.
I also use open trays but my darkroom is cold at this time of year and it is convenient to use the Paterson at the kitchen sink.

Alan
Old 7th November 2010, 05:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Thanks guys.
Trevor, have you removed the plastic fins from your Paterson? I agree it is very convenient to use and if I can get mine to work properly may get another, to speed up the job a bit.
I also use open trays but my darkroom is cold at this time of year and it is convenient to use the Paterson at the kitchen sink.

Alan
Alan, I have two, one with fins and one without (just couldn't be bothered to remove the fins) and now that I simply rock the tank quite gently throughout the development time I've not noticed anything untoward. However having read your post and on the UK-LF forum with folk having possible 'fin trouble', I think it might be wise for me to remove them from my second tank.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 7th November 2010, 05:16 PM
Friend

Thanks Trevor.
Not sure if the volume of developer has anything to do with the problem. I always use 300mls, and rock gently by hand. As I said earlier I've never had a problem with 5 x 4 film.

alan
Old 7th November 2010, 05:28 PM
Friend

Alan, I use 250ml developer, just slightly less than you. I must confess I've probably processed more film in the 'finless' tank as it was nice and new when I bought it and just seems easier to keep clean.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 7th November 2010, 05:36 PM
Friend

I decided on 300 mls because experiments with surplus film and the lid off the processor showed that this much was needed to cover the curving tray bottom - and the film - at the outer edges. I thought that I was playing it safe. But it seems to me now that the more liquid in the processor the higher the film can potentially float up towards the fins, which it may well do with over-enthusiastic rocking.
I will try 250 mls, and very gentle rocking.

Alan
Old 7th November 2010, 10:09 PM
Friend

I'd be lost without my Jobo Expert Drum 3010 (for 4x5) I have 2 and each holds 10 sheets. They're not cheap but are excellent.

Here's the link to the different models;
http://www.jobo.com/web/Expert-Drums.855.0.html

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th November 2010, 10:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
...Jobo do the Expert 3005 drum that will processes up to 5 sheets of 8x10 film. I have one but have never used it...
Trevor - An unused Jobo 3005? The are going for a King's ransom these days. Every time I process 8x10 sheet film in trays, one... sheet... at... a... time..., I am oh so tempted to take out that second mortgage.

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies