Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th February 2009, 10:00 PM
Friend

Default Suitable exposure compensation for snow?

I would be interested to hear other members thoughts on thier suitable exposure compensation and filter choice for photographing in snow conditions. Having used colour reversal film for years, one still tends to expose for the highlights and give it an extra stop. Kodachrome II in the UK and Agfa CT18 in alpine regions. Filter wise, UVa

Would members share thier experiences with other B&W film?

Regards Kenneth

Last edited by kennethcooke; 7th February 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add text
Old 8th February 2009, 12:55 AM
Friend

I've had few opportunities to experiment with snow, but for the negs I printed yesterday, I had taken a meter reading off the snow (completely overcast, very even light) and placed it on Zone VII (two stops more than the meter reading). As I was developing the Delta 100 in PMK for the first time, I had no idea if this was right, but the shadows retained detail so it seemed to work out okay.

Total guesswork though! I'll be interested to hear what others do.
Old 8th February 2009, 03:36 AM
Friend

I would meter the snow and then open up 1.5 to 3 stops. You may want to use a light yellow filter (with factor applied) which will enhance texture of snow in the foreground. That 1.5 to 3 stops is dependant on your B+W film development. If you are using manufacturers ISO and their normal dev time, then use 1.5 to 2. If you have tailored ISO to give you a well calibrated zone system negative with 10 stops range, then use 2 to 3. Bracketing will help unitl you get a feel for the film developer combination you are using.
Old 8th February 2009, 04:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_H View Post
I've had few opportunities to experiment with snow, but for the negs I printed yesterday, I had taken a meter reading off the snow (completely overcast, very even light) and placed it on Zone VII (two stops more than the meter reading). As I was developing the Delta 100 in PMK for the first time, I had no idea if this was right, but the shadows retained detail so it seemed to work out okay.

Total guesswork though! I'll be interested to hear what others do.
I should say so Roy. I have been on Otley Chevin in West Yorkshire today and hope for one or two good shots.

04:30pm Sun Just started to snow again here

Regards Kenneth
Old 8th February 2009, 04:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
I would meter the snow and then open up 1.5 to 3 stops. You may want to use a light yellow filter (with factor applied) which will enhance texture of snow in the foreground. That 1.5 to 3 stops is dependant on your B+W film development. If you are using manufacturers ISO and their normal dev time, then use 1.5 to 2. If you have tailored ISO to give you a well calibrated zone system negative with 10 stops range, then use 2 to 3. Bracketing will help unitl you get a feel for the film developer combination you are using.
Thank you for that Rob- I have not yet got my head around the Zone system yet but I do have AA's trilogy of books which I found s/hand which looks as those he goes into great detail about his system. First I need to get my head around processing. Thank you for all you guidance

Regards Kenneth
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies