Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2013, 08:44 PM
Friend

APUG quite often has posts with refence to digital and is not closed to the pedantics of words with relation to digital, unlike my experience with FADU.
Old 19th July 2013, 08:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
APUG quite often has posts with refence to digital and is not closed to the pedantics of words with relation to digital, unlike my experience with FADU.
I shoot both, my roots are 100% Analog, I was an emulsion chemist and made B&W emulsion commercialt for over a decade.

However i feel there is a need to have purist analog forums like APUG and FADU however bearing in ming the internet (and both forums) need digital output.

Ian
Old 20th July 2013, 10:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
DPUG is the best place to ask questions on hybrid techniques, it might be a touch quiet but has people who really know what they are talking about.

Some of the leading UK hybrid workers post their occasionally.

Ian

While DPUG may have people who know what they are talking about, some of them delight in using this knowledge to berate the less well informed in a "if you didn't know that then you must be stupid" kind of way.

To me, what we're saying here is that we want something as well-mannered and friendly as FADU, but perhaps including digital too.

The question is, would such a forum still be like FADU?
Old 20th July 2013, 02:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I see the attraction to some, but it's not going to happen on FADU so if you want to get something started I suggest you look at hosting plans that include one of the common forum software platforms.
I fully support this observation.
Peter
Old 21st July 2013, 10:57 AM
Friend

I enjoy this forum purely because of the friendly way people pass on information and it is analogue only. I also like the humor that's injected into some of the replies. It makes for pleasant reading.

If I need digital support I go to flickr or G+ where there are a plethora of forums on the subject.

KEEP FADU FRENDLY

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd July 2013, 02:56 PM
Friend

I have to say that I agree with the sentiment that this is a friendly forum, and the humour shown in some of the answers does make me smile.

I have asked some pretty basic ( that means dumb ) questions in my short time on FADU, and the replies that I have rec'd have always been, friendly and helpful. Never have I been made to feel small or belittled by my lack of knowledge by those who have been kind enough to reply to my pleas for help. Long may it continue.
I guess like all families, we don't see eye to eye all the time, but at least we agree to disagree with civility.

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 23rd July 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: alteration
Old 26th July 2013, 12:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn View Post
and looking at the price of sheet film, I am almost glad. ;-)

Fadu is a great resource, I read it all the time, especially the posts by those with decades of experience.

Jon
I agree this place is full of fantastic people, but I feel you might be missing the point regarding the price of film.

How many hours do you spend either snapping, editing, turning on or off you computer, charging batteries or erasing memory cards or with unnecessary cables in general?

wouldn't it be a shed load easy to get it right first time and enjoy the whole unencumbered process?

(can't believe i'm the first!)
Old 27th July 2013, 10:05 AM
Friend

It was commonly said in days of yore that you should do as much editing as possible in the camera. This was particularly true of cine photography but of course was the normal practice also with still pictures. Avoiding profligacy with a limited resource is of course more practical, but it has the benefit, as indicated by Tim Holmes, of encouraging you to think about what you are doing at the time rather than simply to correct afterwards.
From the little I have seen of other sites (being an old fossil who only uses a digital camera to create an image for e-bay) the talk on digital photography appears weighted to what is done after the initial image is created. This is another reason why the point of FADU differs from other sites devoted to photography. As CambsIan points out, whatever your age or experience there's no need for reticence on this site if you have a query of any kind.
Old 27th July 2013, 02:21 PM
Friend

Jon,

I'm in the US, I have servers (both physical and in the 'cloud') that I use to host data for my clients (I build data warehouses for them). But I also host other smaller (in scope, not in content) sites for various purposes.

And recently I've been playing around with the newer forum or forum-like software, as one would expect, there are newer generation of tools out there. And for a niche space like analogue/digital hybrid photography, maybe a simpler format than a full-blown forum would work better.

Here's a light forum that I put out recently www.estatesalehub.com, it's not "live" and publicized yet.
If you would like to start one of these, I'd be happy to host it.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:28 PM
Friend

Thanks for the offer Willshade , I am not sure that FADU is even the place to fish for like-minded analogue photographers anyway, being exclusively darkroom process. I guess there are people out there but they have already decided on a place to hang around.

I like the look of Rangefinderforum but don't use that type of camera (yet?). It seems that each forum has to be centred around something, the gear or the gear inside the gear, like filmwasters, or there always remains a threat of centrifugal force or diffusion and loss of focus. I simply had in mind a forum united/centred on film but including the technical expertise and experience that is currently manifested on APUG and FADU...

For instance, every time a thread starts with negs then veers towards scanning on APUG, it sets off alarm bells and people are asked to make their way to the other side, as if there were a contagion about; whereas they have a forum there that tolerates all kinds of 'off-topic', simply because that (usually) does not threaten the central values of the members. It is probably my own confusion that prevents me from understanding such attitudes, as the central value for me is analogue-film and the hub is more important than the spokes to the extent that I am not drawn away much. But having resorted to a scanner as a "poor person's darkroom", it feels instantly like feeling out of place each time, like a hybrid that is no longer recognised - neither friend nor enemy, but stranger. The enemy, digital, is not at home there by definition but the stranger is never fully at home either and may be caught off-guard. The changing of the name from Hybrid to Digital on the sister site reflects the symptoms of that fear/discomfort, to my mind: the very suggestion through labelling that an area exists which continually threatens core definitions was unbearable to some.

I am not suggesting at all that FADU or APUG have a sort of "with us or against us" mentality but I am proposing that the lack of openness, quasi-institutionally, towards scanning or digital negs etc, is only making things worse than they could be for existing and new or returning film photographers and the market they sustain. The 30% of respondents to Ilford's survery on facebook suggest that if they don't have a darkroom soon, there is no guarantee that they will buy Ilford's film products unless Ilford meet them halfway and/or on the way to that place. But halfway is also where a lot of people choose to remain, and therein they do guarantee the survival of film to the extent they can, whatever happens to the darkroom culture. So it must be important to Ilford that they continue to scan-while-they-wait and it is likely more than '30%' globally. Ilford also certainly have the most experience in turning scans into silver-gelatin prints within the UK, if not the world, via their photolab service.

As for the comments above about 'editing in camera' and 'time spent with digital apparatus vs analogue', I am afraid that they just go over my head; I haven't ever owned a digital camera, even on my phones, so cannot compare or make any useful contribution.

Sorry if this sounds 'ranty', it is just close to my heart. ;-)

United in film,
Jon

Last edited by Jnthn; 27th July 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies