Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th October 2016, 09:31 PM
Friend

I have been using a lot of FP4 and HP5 ,35mm and 120 and have been getting good results with the Tetenal ultrafin ,as I like to keep everything standard ,so I dilute 1x10 at 20c and four inversions the last ten seconds of every minute and have found that I give both FP4 and HP5 7minutes I get the negatives the way I like them . I like the results of the finished print when I use Ultrafin ...its going to be funny if all the different makes and speeds of film I have turn out to only need 7mins developing time .
Old 20th October 2016, 09:58 PM
Friend

In most other proprietary developers I have looked at, the time for FP4+ and HP5+ differ appreciably such at that using the same time for both films in one developer might only suit one of the films

If Ultrafin gets over this problem as Prescysol was reputed to do then this seems a major advantage in using Ultrafin unless you enjoy what Ultrafin, if it were a person, would regard as a unnecessary complication

Mike
Old 21st October 2016, 08:11 AM
Friend

mike the times they give for FP4 is 8mins I found this was to much 7mins is better and on HP5 they give the time with two inversion every 30sec and the time at 4.5 mins...Kodak tmax 7mins fomapan 200 7mins ..so fare I have only tried FP4 and HP5 and both at 7mins as the German said in dads army I am taking notes its all going down in my book..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th November 2016, 03:51 PM
Friend

Tetenal ultrafin has became my nemesis every time I go in my darkroom I wave my fist at it ,and all it does is just sits there all nonchalant ..anyway enough of all that here are some times that are as best I am going to get to keep me happy ....20c temp dilution 1x10 and four inversions last ten seconds of every minute ....
kentmere 100 6mins......Kodak tmax 400 7mins.....Ilford hp5 400 7mins.....now then I have a roll of agfaphoto apx 400 that I will need to develop soon ,the only times I have found so fare is 15mins at 20c this sounds a bit over the top ,so if anybody has got any better numbers please let me know ,,I will do a clip test as I have with all the others and I will try 7mins and go from there .
Old 25th November 2016, 11:11 AM
Friend

Have you posted any prints of the images made by your ultrafin adventure

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 25th November 2016, 04:34 PM
Friend

I have tried but I could not upload my print scans I am ok on things like twitter I just click on them but when I try FADU it says its to big a file or something like that ,I am useless at computers ,I don't like them and they don't like me :-).....I even had to get my son to set up my website .
anyway I am going back to Ilford developer, I will try some DDX first..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 25th November 2016, 05:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I will try some DDX first..

www.essexcockney.com
I used to use it and it is good stuff if a tad expensive compared to say, Xtol. Mind you it can be used at 1+9 if I recall correctly with increased times of course so that's one way to save.

Mike
Old 25th November 2016, 07:06 PM
Friend

I just could not get on with it I was not giving me the negatives I want ,I used to use Paterson developers ,and then Ilford ,come to think of it I must have used most of them over the years .I have also been using different makes of film .But its been fun trying different developers, films, and a different enlarger .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th November 2016, 12:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have tried but I could not upload my print scans I am ok on things like twitter I just click on them but when I try FADU it says its to big a file or something like that ,I am useless at computers ,I don't like them and they don't like me :-).....I even had to get my son to set up my website .
anyway I am going back to Ilford developer, I will try some DDX first..

www.essexcockney.com
If you have some on twitter I'll look there.

thanks.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th December 2016, 02:28 PM
Friend

I had one last go with Tetenal Ultrafin ,was not happy there times are so way out and I was doing clip tests ,and with me it takes at lest three goes to get near the negs I want , so I chucked it down the drain and I am back on Ilford chemicals from now on ,I am glad I tried another make of developer,but I am happy with Ilford so will be sticking with them from now on.

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies