Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th April 2020, 07:59 PM
Friend

Default Home made neg insert

Having recently acquired a Horseman VH 6x9, I need a neg Insert for the enlarger. So armed with encouragement, I cut one out of mount board. Not stiffen'd due to it being more exploratory than long term. It was trialed this evening to see the result. Well worth the 10 mins or so manufacturing this precise piece of card with a hole in it Works a treat. I can get a 19x13 inch print with max height and a 135mm enlarger lens. Sorted.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	3699
Cheers
Diz
Old 15th April 2020, 09:29 PM
Friend

Well done, Diz. That mountboard looks to be pretty versatile stuff. There's a guy who has a load of Youtube videos on darkroom stuff and he seems to use various mountboards for easels and all to good effect

He even has one video where he drove from his base which I think is/was the Isle of Wight to pentaxpete's house in Brentwood Essex so he could meet him

Pete is a long-time friend on FADU and I learned quite a lot about him from the video

The guy who makes the videos calls them "Shoot like a Boss" followed by the subject title of each video. He presents quite well and doesn't attempt to set himself up as the all knowing expert but rather the enthusiastic darkroom amateur who wants to try it all and share his experiences

Mike
Old 16th April 2020, 07:19 AM
Friend

Diz, have you considered using half or one millimeter thick black plastic sheets that you can buy off the bay of e for your neg mask?

I used that to cut a 6x9 mask for my 5x4 ground glass.

Mike
Old 16th April 2020, 07:40 AM
Friend

Thank you Mike(O'Pray) I do enjoy his Youtube vlogs. I like the way he is willing to have a go at anything and work it out through mistakes.
I have some plastic sheet Mike. I use it for making holders for fishing floats. Never thought of using that.
Cheers
Diz
Old 16th April 2020, 08:49 AM
Friend

Diz,

Well done!

Over the years I have used mount board for neg inserts until something else turned up and it's surprising how well they work. A good tip though is to give them a couple of coates of very dilute PVA. This will give them a longer life and kill any minute fibres / dusts that may be on the card inserts.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th April 2020, 09:41 AM
Friend

Thanks Neil. I have PVA. I was looking for some wood hardener as suggested by Ian. However, most things have closed over here due to the Plague! So it will have to wait till later.
Cheers
Diz
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies