Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th January 2016, 11:36 AM
Friend

Default Glass Plate query

I have some plates I would like to try. They are Ilford FP Special R25 backed. They come in pairs wrapped in paper with two small card retainers along the short sides. How do I know which is the emulsion side? Is it face to face or back to back? I can feel the inner faces are less smooth than the outer, but the outer faces are not completely smooth like uncoated glass. There's nothing on or in the box to help. Thanks.
Alex.
Old 24th January 2016, 04:07 PM
Friend

From my little book of photography by Ilford:
Quote:
Plates are usually packed in pairs, emulsion to emulsion, the emulsion surfaces prevented from touching by slips of card or by interleaving paper.
The book also suggests rating R.25 FP Special at ASA, Weston 40 in daylight and 40 under tungsten lighting. Develop in ID-11 for 9 minutes (have times for other developers).

Last edited by paulc; 24th January 2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 24th January 2016, 06:59 PM
Friend

Thanks Paul. I've exposed and developed them. There are images, although quite under exposed. I rated them at 40 for daylight on the basis that the box said 80 Weston, and I thought they might have lost a bit of speed due to age. I used HC110 B for 6.5 minutes with a water stop before fix. Part of the exposure problem is the innacuracy of my shutter. It's an N&S Accurate that needs a service. I wanted to expose them today when I had the opportunity to be out in daylight. Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me. I've a few plates left, and that will help with loading them correctly.
Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies