Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd December 2019, 03:38 PM
Friend

Default Durst 707 B&W

Returning to the darkroom after 30 years so I’m very rusty on such matters. Just picked up a 707 B&W but I have no manual. It has no negative holder but don’t know what type I need to look out for. Is it common with other Durst products? I’m planning to do medium format so I believe I need to look for a 70 or 80 mm lens? It has some sort of device attached by a cable to the head so I assume it’s some sort of exposure meter? The condenser lens is a siriocon 50 so I assume a need a different one for 645 negs. Apologies for lots of questions but hopefully I can be nudged onto the correct path. Best regards keith MM in SE London
Old 22nd December 2019, 05:38 PM
Friend

Hi Keith, there is a website with a lot of Durst manuals but I can't find it at the moment. I think there were two different 707's as well an AC707 and an M707.

There's a carrier for an M700/M800 on ebay at the moment I don't know if that fits it has a top insert but not bottom however I'd use glass. Somewhere I have a spare Dusrt negative carrier but I think it's for a much older 6x9 or 6x7 enlarger.

The Siriocon 50 is for 35mm so yes you will need a different condenser for MF. You do really need the manual though for part names.

Ian
Old 22nd December 2019, 06:06 PM
Friend

Default Durst Spares

There is a company in Oxford called Second Hand Darkroom. They have an enviable selection of enlargers and other bits and pieces. However they are closed for about 7 weeks (according to their website) They are having a major re-vamp with stock and general re-arranging things and possibly a new website.

Their current website is still up and running so have a look and see what they are like. Google Second Hand Darkroom Supplies.
Old 22nd December 2019, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Second Hand Darkroom Supplies are a FADU Sponsor. There is a direct link at the top of this page.
Old 22nd December 2019, 07:58 PM
Friend

Here are a few links to different enlarger documents. Take a look to see what you find;

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=9435

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...splay.php?f=87

http://durst.loremi.com/

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...s/manuals.html

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 22nd December 2019, 11:18 PM
Friend

Barry, were you aware of there longish period of closure. The period is not as long as I thought, and actually state they will be open again on the 3rd Feb.
Old 23rd December 2019, 02:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mamac View Post
Just picked up a 707 B&W but I have no manual. It has no negative holder but don’t know what type I need to look out for. I’m planning to do medium format so I believe I need to look for a 70 or 80 mm lens? The condenser lens is a siriocon 50 so I assume a need a different one for 645 negs. Apologies for lots of questions... Best regards keith MM in SE London
I don't know if it was a freebie enlarger or a paid for one that you have Keith, but it sounds like you need quite a few bits to make it function.

Durst are a well known and a good brand, so you MIGHT be able to get the spares, but personally I would look for an enlarger that has all the bits in the first place.

There are plenty of places to look, but just quickly looking on ebay.co.uk, there are quite a number of enlargers for sale, both 35mm and MF. The majority of them are 'pick-up only', so it would be worth changing the settings to limit the distance you are willing to travel, but there are some that are willing to post.

But don't forget others, like the already mentioned sponsor, SHDS, which are well worth a look.

Good luck with it all.

Terry S
Old 23rd December 2019, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Barry, were you aware of there longish period of closure. The period is not as long as I thought, and actually state they will be open again on the 3rd Feb.
No, sorry John I would just call them in the New Year.
Old 24th December 2019, 08:17 AM
Friend

Hi many thanks for your informed replies. I did indeed buy this from eBay as a local pick up only so only£20. Having looked at Shop prices for a complete enlarger I’m happy enough to pay out for a few bits and pieces to get this bad boy up and running. As it happens they guy had two other smaller Durst enlargers he had on eBay local pick up as well that didn’t sell so I got those thrown in as well! (Apologies cannot recall numbers and I’m away from home at the moment but I think it was. 301 and 600).
The links took me to a colour version where the top half is very different and a correct version but that was in French!
WRT the carrier I did see on eBay the simple 645 insert/blanking plate that goes inside and that was £30!! As I have a milling machine (restoring old bikes is another hobby) I can easily make a negative holder from aluminium. Minimal cost and a hour or so in the workshop. I just picked up a ROGONAR-RODENSTOCK-enlarger-lens-75mm-f1-4-5 on ebay for £20 but did not check if it had the correct thread on it -doh! Hopefully if will fit one of the enlargers! Having just been to a local photographic club (after 30 tears) , it seems ‘the hobby’ has almost 100% given up on film and chemistry and prefers to sit and play on a computer. Good news for me as even though I’m no Luddite I have zero interest in using a computer during my ‘hobby time’ ( computers are for work not for fun) My search for a manual continues. This forum is full of clearly very knowledgable and helpful people- I very pleased I found you all. Many thanks to you all Best wishes Keith MM
Old 24th December 2019, 09:00 AM
Friend

Most enlarger lenses you'll need are M39 LTM, a few older metal barrel Schneider Componon lenses are I think M25 but came w ith an adapter. M39 is pety much universal 105mm and below.

Camera clubs went almost 105% digital some years ago the extra 5% are the rabidly anti film and darkroom brigade.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies