Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th May 2020, 05:26 PM
Friend

Default De Vere 203

Hello,
I've searched the web for a pdf manual instructions for the De Vere 203, with a Varicon condenser head, but nothing found. If some users of a 203 could let me know about their experience in regard with one or another question, that would be greatly appreciated! thank you in advance
I am going back from digital to analog photography, as I learned it 30 years before.. a good enlarger not too expensive is the last thing I still need to buy. Only B&W.

1. Does the Varicon head heat a lot? I mean.. can I touch the head with the fingers without being burned?
2. Is there a fan inside? or anticaloric filter
3. With a 50mm lens, possible to print 50x60cm on the bench?
4. Diameter of the lenses mounting needed.. M39?
5. Is there any advantage to choose a MKII version rather than the previous one? Actually, I don't understand the difference quite well.. what are the differences? Do you prefer the MKII version, or the previous one?
6. About the lamp, what kind of bulb, power, do you recommand amongst the current bulbs?
7. Can I easily make Lith printing with a Varicon head?
8. Negatives masks: what kind of masks do you use? With or without glass for the 120? I'd also like to work with a sizable mask for 24x36mm which would let me choose which part of the neg I want to print, or even the entire surface of the neg if I want. Is this compatible with the De Vere 203?
9. Is it possible to rotate the head by 90° to print on the wall?
10. Is it possible to move the plate with the lens to create tilt effects, or to correct distortion
Thank youuu again!
Old 15th May 2020, 05:58 PM
Friend

There appears to be a De Vere 203 mamual here for a reasonable price, not used them myself so I can't recommend them. But you could try emailing them and make a decision on their response.

https://www.camera-manual.com/model/...a-manual-14523

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th May 2020, 11:59 AM
Friend

Hello Albert, and welcome to the forum.
I can probably answer a few of your questions regarding the De vere 203. I’ve owned one since the early 1980s’. I can’t comment on the varicon light source, as mine came with a cathomag and about 20yrs ago I changed to a dichromat head.
I do still have the original manual, the one that Neil gave a link too in his post. In it the varicon is described as having louvre openings for convection cooling, so I would guess that it produces some heat. The dichromat is the only light source with a cooling fan installed. Again according to the manual the maximum enlargement with a 50mm is 19x with a largest baseboard print size of 508x610mm. To print anything larger you would need the 203 DVW which is the floor mounted version. The lens board mount is M39. I would imagine you can lith with any light source, I can with either of mine. It is possible to rotate the head 90 degrees and both the negative and light source can tilt. Although that is dependant on how the enlarger has been maintained, it’s a function that I’ve never used I don’t think I could persuade mine to move now. The negative carrier has a 4 way masking feature with separate insert masks for different formats. Alternatively you can cut your own from mount board. Hope this is of some help.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 16th May 2020, 02:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
Hello Albert, and welcome to the forum.
I can probably answer a few of your questions regarding the De vere 203. I’ve owned one since the early 1980s’. I can’t comment on the varicon light source, as mine came with a cathomag and about 20yrs ago I changed to a dichromat head.
I do still have the original manual, the one that Neil gave a link too in his post. In it the varicon is described as having louvre openings for convection cooling, so I would guess that it produces some heat. The dichromat is the only light source with a cooling fan installed. Again according to the manual the maximum enlargement with a 50mm is 19x with a largest baseboard print size of 508x610mm. To print anything larger you would need the 203 DVW which is the floor mounted version. The lens board mount is M39. I would imagine you can lith with any light source, I can with either of mine. It is possible to rotate the head 90 degrees and both the negative and light source can tilt. Although that is dependant on how the enlarger has been maintained, it’s a function that I’ve never used I don’t think I could persuade mine to move now. The negative carrier has a 4 way masking feature with separate insert masks for different formats. Alternatively you can cut your own from mount board. Hope this is of some help.
The Dichromat is not the only head with a cooling fan, the 203 Difcon head is like a Dichroic colour head without the filters there is also the 203 Varicontrast head for Multigrade printing both of which have cooling fans.
Old 16th May 2020, 03:02 PM
Friend

You are right, those heads were introduced at a later date after my manual was written. Sorry about that.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 16th May 2020, 04:58 PM
Friend

The best way to find out what a De Vere 203 or 504 can do is to buy one and start printing. The chances are its performace / features will out-strip anything you want it to do and it will last you a lifetime.

I have been using a De Vere 203 and 504 for all formats up to 5x4 for over 20 years now for straight printing and also most of the alernative processes - and I've still not used everything they can offer!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th May 2020, 10:12 PM
Friend

Thank you David & Neil you were very helpful!
Old 18th May 2020, 08:04 AM
Friend

Good Morning Albert.
I've read your original post a couple of times- do I understand that you don't yet have the enlarger?
If so, why the DeVere 203? What formats are you using, and hoping to use in future? There are many enlargers out there, I'm curious about why you're particularly interested in this model.
Old 20th May 2020, 11:25 AM
Friend

Hello Skellum
(didn't know where the Isle of Lewis was, now I know.. What a nice location it is!.. I live in Brussels Belgium :-/ much less original)
So yes I don't have an enlarger yet.. I've seen several videos with the De Vere 203, and read about its specs and it seems fulfill my criteria:
Only BW, condenser light head
Neg 35mm up to 6x7cm (or maybe 6x9), I mostly (90%) work in 135 format
Possibility to rotate the head by 90°
Possibility to tilt it to put some areas out of focus
Enlargements up to 50x60cm
Good stability
I think the 2 levers located in front of the enlarger to determine the focus and to raise or lower the head, may be an advantage too
Good reviews from their owners
I dislike the weight, the price and the cost of shipping. In Belgium, France, De Vere is rare.
I hope to have answered your question, but maybe you had something particular in mind when you asked.
Best
Old 20th May 2020, 12:29 PM
Friend

I’m sure this has been a carefully considered decision, but it occurs to me that, if you mainly do 35mm, and only need the option of some larger sizes in case you decide to do more medium format, there are several enlargers from Durst, LPL/Jobo and Kaiser that would suit your needs. They won’t have the baseboard focus and height controls, but I’ve used these on a DeVere 504, and they wouldn’t be an essential for me. The advantage of the other makes is that they are smaller and lighter, but still very stable, and probably easier to find and maintain where you are. If you only envisage 35mm work, the Leitz Focomat V35 is excellent, and one of the most stable enlargers you will find.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies