Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th June 2020, 04:54 PM
Friend

Could be, I suppose, maybe worth looking on the used market, sometimes Ffordes have beatie screens, as do others, The only replacement focus screen I ever haqd was for my Microcord,and was not Beatie but from a guy in the USA who kmade them to order, but for the life of me I can't remember his name, sorry, getting old I guess
Richard
Old 18th June 2020, 05:04 PM
Friend

Paul, just remembered the screen I got for my microcord, it was Rick Oleson while not as bright as Beatie or Maxwel screens his prices are very good and gives about 2 stops exytra brightnes, so maybe worth a look, I think I paid around $80 us for mine, perfect fit and very much brighter tham the ground glass fitted,
Richard
Old 18th June 2020, 05:22 PM
Friend

the screen in the rollei is slightly oblong I took the screen out of my Hasselblad and it looks like I could adjust it to fit ,its the later one I have ,but I have just bought the earlier type ,it has lesser metal frame around it and maybe that will fit straight in ,what's worrying me is there is not anything about it on the internet so maybe it don't work ,I cannot believe it hasn't been tried before ,when people are sawing rb67 screens down it makes you wonder
Old 18th June 2020, 06:05 PM
Friend

The RB67 option was used on the TLR Rolleiflex. The screens on the SL66, SLX, 6000 series and the Hy6 are all the same size, which is very handy.

There is a link to the various screen types on this page from the SL66 website.

https://www.sl66.com/pg/accessories.shtml
Old 18th June 2020, 08:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
...when people are sawing rb67 screens down it makes you wonder
Paul, I did just that with a Rolleiflex 3.5C that had a very dim GG screen. I trimmed down an RZ67 screen and am very happy with it. Things pop into focus nicely, and it is much brighter than the GG one. If you try this, be careful when handling the screen, as the etched fresnel side is delicate and easily damaged. Best to cover it in something like painter's tape to protect it during the cuts. It was otherwise very easy to do....a 15 minute job with a hacksaw and mitre box. Cheap too...the screen cost peanuts.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:44 PM
Friend

svend maybe I will have to try that at a later date ,if I do I will have to pick your brain . did it affect the focusing using a different focusing screen ,or was it spot on ...
Old 20th June 2020, 07:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
svend maybe I will have to try that at a later date ,if I do I will have to pick your brain . did it affect the focusing using a different focusing screen ,or was it spot on ...
Sure Paul, ask away any time...always happy to help.

As for focus accuracy, I haven't noticed any issues, even with close-up subjects at moderately wide apertures...say, f4.5 or 5.6 or so. One of these days I will do the ruler shot test just to confirm, but I can't recall having mis-focused anything as yet.
Old 24th June 2020, 03:51 PM
Friend

I bought a cheap Hasselblad v series focusing screen ,it would have worked but it comes in two half's and they are both to thick ,like me . . anyroad up I will keep my Mince Pies open .
Old 28th June 2020, 01:01 PM
Friend

I had a coarse fresnel lens (Kiev 60 I think) fitted to my Pentacon Six, to replace the original dim ground glass. It has proved to be a very mixed blessing; it's much brighter, but almost impossible to focus without squinting through the magnifier and using the split prism bit. Formerly I could see the change in contrast at waist level when it went into general focus.
Old 10th July 2020, 01:43 PM
Friend

hi svend i am thinking of getting a RZ focusing screen ,how did you take the metal frame of and how did you cut it down without scraching it ,if its easy i may have a go .
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies