Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th May 2021, 01:02 AM
Friend

Default Voigtlander Bergheil 9x12 Shift Control Not Moving

I can't figure out how to get the Lateral Shift to work on a new to me Voigtlander Bergheil 9x12 Camera.

As best as I can tell, the top left knurled knob is supposed to control the the Lateral Shift; it does not turn. I thought that it might be in locked position via the lever that sits between the pull-out eyelets. Changing its position makes no difference.

I don't want to force the knob with a plier for fear of damaging it. Any ideas?

BTW: The Rise and Fall works smoothly.
I posted the same query on Photo and the LFPF as well.
Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bergheil912.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	4190  
Old 29th May 2021, 07:55 AM
Friend

I have a very similar camera, but not a Voigtlander. It has front shift and rise. To raise the front, the you turn the knob at the top left, as in yours. The lateral movement is controlled by a similar knob at the base of the lens support, also on the left. I can’t see how the double knob at the top left on yours could connect to a mechanism for lateral movement, but more pictures may help. It looks like you would use one of the upper knobs to operate front rise, and the second to lock it in position? The small lever below the lens on some cameras is used to lock the front standard at the chosen extension. Are you certain that the model you have is equipped with front shift? I’m sure someone here will have more detailed knowledge of this camera. It looks to be in great condition.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29th May 2021, 11:00 AM
Friend

Mike Butkus (butkus.org) has a full instruction manual - though it's in German. On page 10 it does say that the top left knob controls shift. I could answer questions with reference to it; but we have German friends here who could do better.
Old 29th May 2021, 08:07 PM
Friend

I did indeed check the manual and someone translated the appropriate sentences. The upper knob is supposed to control the Lateral Shift.

By what mechanism this is able to reach the base (curved, no less) of the camera and shift it is indeed a mystery to me as well.

Furthermore, like the Rise and Fall, the bottom is marked with a white dot, indicating the zero/null position.
Old 30th May 2021, 03:35 PM
Friend

Often the lubrication has dried completely and gummed up the mechanism. I'd use IPA (Alcohol not India Pale Ale) and a small paint brush to slowly soften the lubricant.

Ian
Old 30th May 2021, 03:52 PM
Friend

I dont know ,after about 8 pints of greene king ipa I get quite loose .
Old 31st May 2021, 01:11 PM
Friend

I appreciate the tips and the sense of humor
Old 4th June 2021, 02:32 PM
Friend

Update:
Took it to the Camera Doctor in NYC yesterday.
Diagnosis: the worm gear is gummed up. He will access it from underneath the front standard, clean it and re-lube it.

I was reluctant to try it on my own, especially since I was not convinced on how to access the mechanism. In any case, I convinced myself that it will be worth the cost as the camera is in otherwise wonderful condition and the lens is outstanding.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies