Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2013, 08:55 PM
Friend

Default Isopropyl Alcohol

Hi

I am in need of a new tin of Isopropyl Alcohol and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good supplier in the U.K.

I am looking for one that is clean working and leaves zero residue on the film. At present I am using one from Maplins, and this leaves a little residue on the film. It does not seem to effect printing, but I would much rather it not be there.

I am not looking for any "Hey, they have some here on fleabay", answers (sorry to be blunt), but someone who can recommend a product that they use regularly without issue.

I thank you all kindly in anticipation

Cheers

Stoo
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:02 PM
Friend

I get mine from my local pharmacy. I told the pharmacist what I wanted it for and he got me 99.9% pure IPA. Cost is around £5.00 for 500 ml.

nn
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:06 PM
Friend

I buy it for about £9 for 5 litres. I have an account with a chemicl supplier but look on Ebay as £5 for 500ml is expensive.

Ian
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:37 PM
Friend

Yes the chemist in my local town sells it but usually it has to be ordered in.

What I cannot understand is the bottle I have, has a 'Use by Date', sticker, however, as it is alcohol it should never go off and it isn't intended for consumption anyway. Another example of EEC interference? My bottle was supposed to be used by 2008! It still works for the purpose I bought it - lens cleaning.

Make sure that when you use it you have you hand inside a surgical glove. It will clean off any grease from your fingers and transfer that to the film so when it dries these may be the marks you are finding.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:44 PM
Friend

I have bought this in the past from a place called Shiny Hardware Limited in a 500ml bottle and is 99.9% IPA, although they do supply it in various quantities. Mine didn't come with the cloth, so it cost a little less than the quoted price:

http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/prods....asp?pid=25194
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

What I cannot understand is the bottle I have, has a 'Use by Date', sticker, however, as it is alcohol it should never go off and it isn't intended for consumption anyway. Another example of EEC interference? My bottle was supposed to be used by 2008! It still works for the purpose I bought it - lens cleaning.

Make sure that when you use it you have you hand inside a surgical glove. It will clean off any grease from your fingers and transfer that to the film so when it dries these may be the marks you are finding.
ISO9002 stipulates dates for stock rotation and to ensure products are fresh when bought by consumers. Some products don't need one and I think the stipulation is being relaxed slightly.

In our case the main effect was shorter expiry dates on films.

Some chemistry last a long time I have a few Kilos of Hyrdroquinone and Metol made in theearly 1960's also a small amount of Phenidone from 1966 that's as good as my stock of fresh phenidone..

Ian
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I asked around a few chemists in my area a little while ago (including Boots) and drew a blank. Some said they'd order it in and never got back to me and one even said there was a shortage and couldn't get hold of it at all. I assumed I was being fobbed off (I don't think I give the impression that I'd drink the stuff - but you never know).

When I worked as a picture framer, we used it for cleaning paintings and used to get large bottles of the stuff easily from the local pharmacist. Maybe the rules have been tightened up since then or maybe I was just unlucky.

Anyway, I ended up being forced to go to (sorry) eBay where I got it from a reputable supplier cheaply and quickly.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:25 PM
Friend

Funnily enough I asked in my pharmacist yesterday, actually if they could get 100% alcohol (ethanol) they can't sell it as such but I was hoping they could add it to some shellac for French polish. They said that these days they don't make up any chemistry everything is pre-packaged, things changed about 10 years ago.

They can get 70% IPA which is sold as rubbing alcohol.

There's reputable suppliers on Ebay as Michael says and I'd buy from one of them without hesitation.

Ian
Old 3rd July 2013, 04:11 PM
Friend

Just linking at the mo... but the bottle I bought in an order MANY moons ago from one of the main mail order photographic firms definitely charged hell of a lot more than a fiver!!! Can't imagine it being any cheaper now even.

I never thought about asking at the chemist for it as previous requests for simple photo chemicals, have always led to the answer, 'years ago we used to be able to sell loads of things but not today...'

Must remember this and read the rest of the posts later on.

Terry S
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Anyway, I ended up being forced to go to (sorry) eBay where I got it from a reputable supplier cheaply and quickly.

Quote:
There's reputable suppliers on Ebay as Michael says and I'd buy from one of them without hesitation.

Ian

Dear all.

Thank you very much for your help here. I feel that my comment on Ebay may have been misinterpreted, which often can happen on forums, so I feel that I should make it clear that I do not have a problem buying there.
What I often find when asking for advice on certain products, is that some forum users will point you to the product, whether it is being sold on ebay, or elsewhere, but have never used the product itself, so therefore have no knowledge as to whether there will be any issues when using it. I was looking for someone that had used a product without issue, so could therefore recommend it to me (if that makes sense!)

Sooooo, that said, Michael S or Ian, or anyone else that has bought from Ebay, could you please point me to the reputable seller that you bought your 99.9% isopropyl Alcohol from, or even the product name will do, Thank you.

Incidentally, the Isopropyl Alcohol that I purchased from Maplins that is causing the issues is called 'Servisol', and there is no percentage of alcohol written on the tin. When I purchased it , it was about £5, but is now being sold for £15 for 500ml!

Once again, thank you all for your help

regards

Stoo

Last edited by Stoo Batchelor; 3rd July 2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: speeeeeling
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies