Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2021, 01:54 PM
Friend

Welcome Flack. You are clearly a far-sighted person in keeping all your darkroom gear. 20 years ago the sale of a whole darkroom might have got you a fiver in the scramble for the digital world

Mike
Old 13th March 2021, 01:54 PM
Friend

Welcome aboard!

Terry S
Old 13th March 2021, 04:10 PM
Friend

Welcome.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 13th March 2021, 08:07 PM
Friend

Thanks for the welcomes guys, yes I cant believe how the second hand prices have gone up for all darkroom and Medium format gear.
I did some more work today on fitting my enlarger and where my gear is going to fit in.
Just need to sort out a blackout for the window, this is the hardest part finding something I can easily remove and store.

Got my Jobo manual print processor out today and washed 20 years of dust off it .lol.

Flack
Old 13th March 2021, 08:12 PM
Friend

Thanks for the welocome guys, did some more work on my setting up of my darkroom today, next job is to make a blackout for the window.

Yes I cant believe how much the second hand value of darkroom and medium format gear has gone up..

Also found and washed my jobo manual processor off, it coverd in 20 years of dust..

Flack
Old 14th March 2021, 01:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flack View Post
Just need to sort out a blackout for the window, this is the hardest part finding something I can easily remove and store.

Flack
In my last house, where I used my bedroom as a darkroom, I made a basic wooden frame, being the size of the window surround.

I then stapled HEAVY DUTY (so not ordinary flimsy) refuse bags (I got mine from B + Q) to the frame, leaving edges uncut. So when put into the window frame, the uncut edges made the whole thing light tight, as the edges filled in the tiny gap still around the frame.

They took literally seconds to put up and take down.

But as I write this, I now realise I am presuming that your windows have a depth to them, with a ledge. (I hope you understand what I mean. )

As well as my way, others in the past have said they use 'black out curtains' as well. There are many ways to do it, it's just finding one that suits you.

Also, once in another room I did similar to the above, but with a sheet of ply-board, cut to size for me (again at B + Q. )

Terry S
Old 14th March 2021, 01:52 PM
Friend

The Imaging Warehouse (one of the sponsors) used to sell a very effective plastic material for blacking out windows. It’s fixed to the window frame with Velcro tape. It is a strong fabric that doesn’t need a supporting frame. If you didn’t want black Velcro round the window, you could use white for that part. Other suppliers I am sure, including some sponsors sell similar materials. I’ve also used Terry’s method in the past, and it worked well.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 15th March 2021, 09:23 AM
Friend

I did originally have a wooden frame that just pushed in to the window frame, but that has long gone.
My problem is now I dont have the room in there to store a frame the size of the window, its 5 foot by 4 foot, so quite big.

I am thinking of the velcro way and using builders damp proofing.

I also had a cutian made for the door that just clipped on there and thats long gone so need to sort that as well...

Oh well plenty of time in lock down to sort it lol.
Old 15th March 2021, 12:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flack View Post
I did originally have a wooden frame that just pushed in to the window frame, but that has long gone.
My problem is now I dont have the room in there to store a frame the size of the window, its 5 foot by 4 foot, so quite big.

I am thinking of the velcro way and using builders damp proofing.

I also had a cutian made for the door that just clipped on there and thats long gone so need to sort that as well...

Oh well plenty of time in lock down to sort it lol.
Your items sound very similar to my previous set up. Good luck with it all.

Terry S
Old 15th March 2021, 06:43 PM
Friend

Well got the window b/out sorted, I went to try my enlarger but it's not playing, found my transformer is not working.It hums like it used to but no 12 volts out, also found the bulb gone so ordered two new ones today.

Is there anywhere to get the transformer repaired now?.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies