Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th December 2021, 07:21 PM
Friend

Default Multigrade 3rd generation

Just acquired some Multigrade postcard sized and Half plate, MG 1K & 26K,luckily also a set of the 3 filters Hard, Medium, Soft.

There's also some Ilford Contact paper, and Kodak Bromide and Velox. I was really buying three contact frames, 2 enamel dishes, and early print drying clips

Ian
Old 12th December 2021, 08:56 PM
Friend

Hi Ian,
I should be taking hold of my Zone IV contact print frame for 8x10", this week. I've never tried one before and I've only ever really seen very old varieties, so I'm curious if it's going to make any appreciable difference when printing on fiber base instead of just a plain piece of glass laid on top.
I've also read that it can be tricky to align/centre the negative and that there's a knack to it?
Any tips or advice, warmly appreciated on that score.

I've also seen people advertising for both enamel and glass dishes, I presume for alternative processes but I've never truly understood the benefits or advantages of these materials over and above their modern robust plastic counterparts?

And what do early print drying clips look like, I can only imagine something peg-like?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 12th December 2021, 09:10 PM
Friend

My first developing dishes were my mothers enamelled pie dishes.
I left the developer and fix in for a couple of days and the enamel just rotted away.
What is the attraction for enamel dishes?

Cheers.
Old 12th December 2021, 10:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Hi Ian,
I should be taking hold of my Zone IV contact print frame for 8x10", this week. I've never tried one before and I've only ever really seen very old varieties, so I'm curious if it's going to make any appreciable difference when printing on fiber base instead of just a plain piece of glass laid on top.
I've also read that it can be tricky to align/centre the negative and that there's a knack to it?
Any tips or advice, warmly appreciated on that score.

I've also seen people advertising for both enamel and glass dishes, I presume for alternative processes but I've never truly understood the benefits or advantages of these materials over and above their modern robust plastic counterparts?

And what do early print drying clips look like, I can only imagine something peg-like?
Some years ago I went on a course to learn Albumen printing at Dimbola House. Steve Smith of this Forum and APUF/Photrio had mentioned it and was also there.it was a free 2 day course on the Isle of Wight. (Julia Magaret Cameraon's house now a Museum/workshop facility).

With printing out processes you use sunlight or what ever daylight there is, exposure are quite long and you can go into a darkroom (darkened room)and use the frame to check what@s happening by lifting the flap.

I'm collecting a lot of small contact frames for a potential project.

Oh and this MG paper is possibly older or the same age as I am. it's the 3rd Generation current, MG 5 is actually probably the Ninth version.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies