Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2015, 09:53 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Default Gallery Query

The physical size of my uploaded images appears to be limited by the file size. However, others appear to be able to post larger physically sized scans without exceeding the file size. Am I missing a trick?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
Old 27th January 2015, 11:21 AM
Friend

Mike,

The Gallery information says:

jpg,jpeg,png,gif
Maximum File Size: 200kb file size limit.
Upload Limit: 5 images per day.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th January 2015, 01:15 PM
Friend

I normally make 3 scans of an image at 200, 100 , and 75 DPI. I then try to upload from 200 down. Generally I'm scanning an image size of 6x9". I find that the highest resolution rarely works, and I upload the 100 DPI image most often. I should say that I know very little about scanning, and have only got into it for the purpose of uploading to FADU. Perhaps you could check if your scanner offers different resolution settings, and try a lower resolution scan?
Alex
Old 27th January 2015, 01:42 PM
Friend

Try saving at various compression sizes. For on screen work, it doesn't make too much of a difference and hence you should be able to put up a bigger picture if you want to.

Terry S
Old 27th January 2015, 03:19 PM
Friend

I found that scanning at 75D.P.I. is the only way that I can get an image to upload to the Gallery, for the albums I would scan at 200 and it would load fune, but these days I stick to 75dpi Like Alex I am not really up on scanning, I use my HP 3 in one, I also only started scanning to get photos for Fadu and my Blog, but, as Alex said try scanning at the lowest resoulation and see if it helps
Richard
Old 27th January 2015, 03:58 PM
Friend

If the pixel dimensions exceed a certain limit the forum software will resize the image usually making it look awful.

Limit your pixel dimensions to 1000 pixels and you won't have problems.

The image may be displayed smaller than that but when you click it, it will be displayed without having been resized. If you make it any/much bigger than that then it will get resized and look bad. And it causes people to need to scroll to see it all.

A 1000x1000 pixel image isn't very big and should be easily savable at =< 200kb

Alter the save/save for web quality setting until the file size is <200KB. Its only for display on the web and most peoples monitors are only 96 pixels per inch or so (well some newer retina monitors are significantly higer but you can't really try and cater for those otherwise everyone else suffers).

Last edited by Argentum; 27th January 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 27th January 2015, 04:36 PM
Friend

what software are you using to edit/resize these images?
Old 28th January 2015, 03:52 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I use Lightroom 2 for editing/resizing.
I have remembered that at some stage I started scanning the prints in full colour mode and not just grey scale or whatever because I had a selectively sepia toned print. This might make a difference and I will experiment with this and the suggestions above!
I only scan prints for the Print Exchange on this Forum.
If I am so lucky that I get an award in Club Competitions (increasingly rare), the 12x16 mounted print gets photographed, usually by someone else, for the Club Website.
Thanks, Mike
Old 28th January 2015, 04:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
If I am so lucky that I get an award in Club Competitions (increasingly rare)...
Been there and know the feeling Mike.

It generally means that you have been at the club in question too long and are starting to branch out by providing them with 'off the list' type of pictures rather than the ones that are expected are of the norm in photo clubs. I'm sure you know the type of thing that I am talking about.

I now take it as a badge of honor when judges look at any of my entries and are either stuck for words or only give it the briefest look and walk on by. LOL.

Terry S
Old 28th January 2015, 05:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I use Lightroom 2 for editing/resizing.
I have remembered that at some stage I started scanning the prints in full colour mode and not just grey scale or whatever because I had a selectively sepia toned print. This might make a difference and I will experiment with this and the suggestions above!
I only scan prints for the Print Exchange on this Forum.
If I am so lucky that I get an award in Club Competitions (increasingly rare), the 12x16 mounted print gets photographed, usually by someone else, for the Club Website.
Thanks, Mike
Never used lightroom so don't know what the commands are. But if you reduce image pixel dimensions to within 1000x1000 and then save as jpeg then it should provide you with an image quality option of something like maximum / high / medium / low or a pecentage quality value setting. Adjusting that quality setting will affect the file size. High or Medium can often be plenty good enough for web display without blowing the 200kb limit. All depends on the image.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies