Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Overseas

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th February 2017, 09:58 AM
Friend

Default Prague tips

I will be in Prague for a few days at the end of February / beginning of March 2017.

Does anyone have any tips for:
  • Galleries that exhibit photography
  • Bookshops with a good selection of photography books
  • Places to buy film (I will be taking, hopefully, enough with me but just in case)
  • Interesting places to photograph off the tourist trail
  • Cheap places to eat authentic Czech food
Many thanks advance for your insights.

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 15th February 2017, 02:49 PM
Friend

Hi David,

I went to Prague a few time many moons ago now and enjoyed each visit very much.

Presuming this is where I went, as it is the only photography museum listed on google, it is well worth a visit and will take you out of the tourist bubble for a few hours as it was just out of town in a residential area, but easily found on a tram / train line:

http://en.ghmp.cz/house-of-photography/

Something new that has opened since I went there is a Leica Gallery, which is right in the centre it says:

http://www.lgp.cz/en/about-us/the-gallery.html

As for food, I too like to eat what the locals do and it is quite easy to find places, although I got a few looks going into some of them, just for being a tourist - obviously not many of us go into the places.

Don't overlook the tourist bits though as they are worth visiting. I remember a museum of torture at the Charles Bridge and a fun fair on a hill close by that had a maze of mirrors which was fun.

A good look on google or a good guide book to browse before you go are very recommended as most people only stay in the centre of town, which although lovely there are other things if one looks.

What ever you do, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

Terry S
Old 15th February 2017, 05:05 PM
Friend

It's not on your list but the Museum of Communism is worth a visit, if you have never been there. The former Jewish area likewise but if you go into the synagogue and read the kids' postcards home to relatives after they had been sent to what they were told was a kind of boarding school/camp, the innocence will grab you by the throat, knowing as we do what was in store for them. As they were kids, the postcards are written in fairly simple German but in a very homely fashion and on the lines of I am fine and do not worry about me.

I felt I could almost touch them.

Mike
Old 15th February 2017, 05:11 PM
Friend

When I was browsing the Large Format Photography Forum today, I saw an announcement about the opening of what appears to be a photographic exhibit on 3rd March. The venue is Futura, Centre for Contemporary Arts in Prague. I can't say exactly what it's about, but may be worth a look. The thread is under the 'Announcements ' section of that Forum.
Coincidentally, my daughter is travelling to Prague this weekend to stay with her boyfriends family. She was very excited about the things she had found online to see and do. It sounds like there is plenty happening, and I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. I've heard the beer is pretty good too!
Alex.
Old 16th February 2017, 07:19 AM
Friend

Hi, most of your questions were already answered (and it would almost seem that people abroad keep a better eye on what's happening than I do right here.. ) But I'll try to drop in with a little local knowledge...

For photography books definitely do go to the Leica Gallery, it is a great place, been there just yesterday.. There is always some exhibition going on, the coffee is good and it is accidentaly one of the few cafés in town where you can actually talk with people and hear what you are saying.. (And it is usually quite empty - I think people are afraid of the "red dot".) (There is also a reasonable selection of books at NeoLuxor and "academia" on the wenceslas square).
As for film, there is the obvious "Fotoškoda" in Vodičkova street but they are VERY expensive, if you are in need of film you'd better go to BeFoto (www.befoto.cz) - a little out of the city centre but in a quite interesting area, they have good stock of film and much more reasonable prices.

As for eating, well... there are many tourist traps, one of the reasonable option quality- and price-wise is to stick with the brewery chain restaurants - "Potrefena Husa" (e.g. Shot Duck) by Staropramen or "Kozlovna" by Kozel.. there are many of these in the city and I'd call them a safe bet.. Food is excellent and prices reasonable. There is also a growing number of small breweries/restarurants - my most favourite is "Nota Bene" in Mikovcova Street, only a few blocks away from the Wenceslas Square - excellent food and delicious home-brewed beers.
For a more "local/rustic" experience you may try "Kulovy Blesk" in Sokolska street - it's all in the cellars, reasonable food but a vast choice of beers of any kind from lesser known breweries... (Yes, a lot of people nowadays avoids the big brands, calling them "Euro-water" and therefore places like this are much sought after...)

Anyway, drop me a line if you need any more information...
Old 16th February 2017, 04:13 PM
Friend

Thank you for everybody’s replies thus far.

Dear andreios,

Over the years I have been to Prague a few times before. However, as with this trip, with fairly limited time - so your tips are great. The website for BeFoto certainly looks interesting as does the area. I would probably not have visited such a part of the city without a recommendation but, having a quick look around on StreetView, it looks like just the place I would like to explore with my camera.

Are there any other interesting galleries for viewing photography? - it is pretty hard to find anything with Google. Years ago I saw a very interesting exhibition at FAMU - do they still have exhibitions?

Once again everybody thanks for the tips and please keep them rolling in.

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
Old 16th February 2017, 05:28 PM
Friend

Default Prague

Quite a lot of my friends who tour Europe on motorcycles warn against theft in Prague city centre. Not having been there myself, I cannot verify this but apart from my friends travellers tales I have heard it from other sources as well (Trip Advisor).

They also say the same about Rome and Paris and almost certainly London. Having been a bobby in London for over 20 years, so I would say that is almost certainly true in other big cities, so just be careful with your gear and keep an eye on it.
Old 18th February 2017, 09:51 AM
Friend

Bump
Old 18th February 2017, 10:00 PM
Friend

I would recommend you visit Josef Sudek's house. It was open to the public when I was last there.
Old 20th February 2017, 08:42 AM
Friend

Some exhibition info:
http://www.kdykde.cz/calendar/kdykde...ografie-z-cest
http://www.kdykde.cz/calendar/kdykde...ske-galerii-cs - project about homeless people, should be interesting

http://www.kdykde.cz/calendar/kdykde...log-s-krajinou - more of an abstract landscape work - I should check this out too!

List of current exhibitions in Prague:
http://fotomonitor.info/www/vystavy/vyp.asp
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies