Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th August 2011, 09:40 PM
Friend

Default North vs. South

Does anybody think that, in general terms, the South of England is better than the North for photographic locations?

I know there's the Yorkshire Dales and Northumbria, but the North Yorkshire Moors, and Pennines, while majestic, are a little too sublime and devoid of detail, in my opinion, for photography. Similarly, the Yorkshire Wolds are nice to go to, but not to photograph.

As they say "a good view does not neccessarily a good picture make".

The South, by comparison, seems to have more "classic" landscape elements, and just seems to be more picturesque, in both the strict and general senses of the word.

Although it could be the usual bias towards the South in such publications, my collection of Batsford Colour books seems to bear this out, with a "straw poll" of the various books of Britain / England in general only having about 4% of the pictures from Yorkshire, bearing in mind that taken as a whole, Yorkshire is the biggest county.

(This is, of course, ignoring the volumes devoted to specific counties of England.)

Should anyone think I'm doing a "grim oop't North" put-down, I have to say that I'm from the North myself, and, this being the case, it could be that I feel "the grass is always greener".

This is a serious question that I'd like to hear opinions on.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:02 PM
Friend

James,
You are joking of course.
And it's the "North York Moors" by the way, not the "North Yorkshire Moors" ....

Alan
Old 26th August 2011, 10:10 PM
Friend

In my experience more or less anywhere in England / Scotland and Wales will provide fantastic image making opportunities. I just wish I could live long enough to get round them all. But in the mean tiime I will put up with West Cornwall

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 26th August 2011, 10:17 PM
Friend

If your on about landscape photography, then the whole of the uk is
good enough, you will find somewhere to photograph the great outdoors
almost anywhere
paddy
Old 26th August 2011, 10:45 PM
Friend

I take it that for some reason we are excluding Wales and Scotland, some areas of which may be closer to photographers in England than other areas in England with comparable scenery? Is this an academic debate attempting to get to a decision by opinion/vote on which is best, North or South, overall in one country or are we trying to decide what aspects of what kind of photography are best represented in different regions of England?

Depending on what you want to take pictures of and where you live then it might be entirely practical to cross the border and go to Scotland or Wales.

We can offer info on what we know to be represented in areas we have been to or debate for fun, as long as it remains fun, whether the South( ending where?) is better than the North( ending where?).

Dave lives in middle England, the best bit, as he says and for many reasons it is but if mountains and lakes are your thing then it might fail to live up to this description of best.

I am a middle England resident as well. A great county is Northants. The canals are great and the village churches are superb but of course the water's too hard to mix with whisky. Still nowhere is perfect

My last paragraph tells everyone that I do not think this N v S scenery fpr photography can be or should be taken seriously.

My last word on the subject.

Mike
Old 26th August 2011, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Go North for drama, South West for rolling countryside, East for skies, and London in order to buy the materials and get out again as quickly as possible (spoken as a born Londoner...).

Last edited by Bob; 27th August 2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Smiley added as sometimes spotting a joke can be difficult unless it is spelt out.
Old 26th August 2011, 11:22 PM
Friend

Regardless of whether you are in the north, south, east or west it's the light you are photographing so why bother about making pedantic statements.
Old 27th August 2011, 04:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Go North for drama, South West for rolling countryside, East for skies, and London in order to buy the materials and get out again as quickly as possible (spoken as a born Londoner...).
So London is not for living in or taking pictures then, so that's where I've been going wrong.
I agree totley with Les.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 27th August 2011, 06:05 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

James, what happened to the Lake District in your list for the North?

To me the best places are the North and Cornwall/Devon.

East Anglia is too flat and the SE corner of the country just too built up.

However I think Les and Jon have made the best point. At the end of the day it is up to the photographer to make the best of the area he/she is in.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 27th August 2011 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Additional comment.
Old 27th August 2011, 06:50 AM
Friend

It is in yourself to make the most out of it, wherever you are.

MonoArt - fine photographs
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies