Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th August 2020, 01:32 PM
Friend

Default Help! Zenit e 1973

Found my ancient Zenit that I last used 20 odd years ago for my degree, the shutter tension has gone and the effing screw that tightens it has sheared off on one side of the screw head (insert very bad language) is there anybody in East Kent who can help me sort this out, my usual repair places are doing the usual it’s not economic to repair, but I’m 1quite attached to this camera and really want to fix it if possible ASAP as we are moving to the far north in about six weeks and I know I won’t be able to find a repairer up there!

Jane ☹️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15th August 2020, 01:42 PM
Friend

I can suggest that you try newton and ellis, they are in Liverpool, and take postal cameras, sorry I can't remember the link, but I have sent a lot of camera equipment to them, both ancient and modern, and they have never let me down yet, Expensive mind you, but they seem to be able to repair pretty much any photo equipment,good luck with the Zenit, if you treat them nicely they are built like a brick outhouse, I had 2 or three of them in my earlier years of photography.
Richard
Old 15th August 2020, 01:49 PM
Friend

I might have a zenit e you could use for parts, drop me a message to remind me to have a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15th August 2020, 01:50 PM
Friend

Sorry to hear about this Jane and I cannot directly help but in anticipation of a possible question from anyone who can: Are you pretty sure that replacement of the one tension screw whose head has partially sheared of and prevents the restoration of tension by tightening is all that's needed?

So the screw simply needs removal and replacement? It strikes me that removal may prove to be the biggest task so a picture of what its current state of damage is might be helpful

Mike
Old 15th August 2020, 01:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Sorry to hear about this Jane and I cannot directly help but in anticipation of a possible question from anyone who can: Are you pretty sure that replacement of the one tension screw whose head has partially sheared of and prevents the restoration of tension by tightening is all that's needed?

So the screw simply needs removal and replacement? It strikes me that removal may prove to be the biggest task so a picture of what its current state of damage is might be helpful

Mike

The side of the screw head the arrow is pointing at has sheared off, removal is going to be an absolute b****r 😬

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15th August 2020, 01:53 PM
Friend

PS Having sent my post I have just seen that two others arrived first but a picture of the damaged screw might still help

Mike
Old 15th August 2020, 03:05 PM
Friend

If Ian (lost labours) is around he may be able to help you, or at least have some answers, but I would not like to tackle that sort of job, to ham fisted I'm afraid, good luck,
Richard
Old 15th August 2020, 04:24 PM
Friend

There is a repairer at Tunbridge Wells who done a repair for a friend of mine recently which he was very pleasded with.

/www.1staidrepairs.co.uk

Telephone no. 01892 525 327

Phone: 01892 525 327
Address
1st Aid Repairs
Unit 3
Decimus Park
Kingstanding Way
Kent
TN2 3GP

Tony

Last edited by Tony Marlow; 15th August 2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 15th August 2020, 05:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
There is a repairer at Tunbridge Wells who done a repair for a friend of mine recently which he was very pleasded with.

/www.1staidrepairs.co.uk

Telephone no. 01892 525 327

Phone: 01892 525 327
Address
1st Aid Repairs
Unit 3
Decimus Park
Kingstanding Way
Kent
TN2 3GP

Tony
The cost of a repair is way more than a Zenit E is worth.

Dealers at camera fairs also on Ebay are selling the 58mm f2 Helios lenses for more than a complete Zenit E with lenses. They sell the bodies for about £5

The 58mm Helios is wanted by some because it's a CZJ 58mm f2 Biotar copy, however having both the Biotar is the better lens, better coatings as well and less prone to flair.

Ian
Old 15th August 2020, 04:42 PM
Friend

It think I'd worn my Zenit E out by 1972 and replaced it with a Prakticamat

My first thoughts from larger Reflex camera roller blind shutter restoration/repairs is that it's the screw on the right that's the key, that locks the other in place and then the one marked is turned to adjust the tension, that's why the outside is like a gear (for lack of a better term) so it can be locked in different positions.

If that wasn't the case the screw on the right would be redundant

See here the right hand screw is removed first.

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 15th August 2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Add
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies