Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2018, 01:43 PM
Friend

Default Adox IR-HR PRO (ISO 50)

Just reading the current Photoklassik, which arrived here back on the 7th. In the news section a new infrared film is announced; but at the moment it's not on the Adox or Fotoimpex websites and someone else has enquired about it on APHOG without response.

By the magazine's sketchy description (attached), it's to be available in 35mm only for now and the box speed is ISO 50. It sounds genuinely IR-sensitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01058.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	2887  
Old 28th June 2018, 07:04 PM
Friend

It may be my poor German but it seems to suggest it is only an ISO 50 film without any filters? So even a red drops its to maybe 6 and a full blown R72 to maybe 1.5?

Is this your interpretation of the text? Someone called Mirko is prominent in Adox/Fotoimpex and posts on Photrio but I have seen no announcement there.

Mike
Old 28th June 2018, 07:41 PM
Friend

Filter factors don't apply as straightforwardly to IR film as to other black & white emulsions. I don't know the topic well enough to give a proper answer here; so I've attached a section from Hugh Milsom's book that just begins to address the various considerations:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01059.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	2888  
Old 28th June 2018, 08:03 PM
Friend

Default IR Film

A good while ago, possibly around 2004-5 there was an IR film sold under the Konica brand name and that was rated at 32iso without filters; with a Hoya red filter I used it at 4iso and the quality was great. But like most IR films it was good practice to make 3 exposures, one below, one above and the one suggested by the meter.

It may be the case here as well where experimentation needs to be done to get a reasonable degree of certainty.
Old 28th June 2018, 08:50 PM
Friend

I remember the Konica film, but never tried it. There is info about it in the Hugh Milsom book Michael mentioned. If I recall correctly, it was only produced at certain times of year, and not continually. It has been out of production for some time. It is good to see a new IR film being released. The slow speed wouldn’t bother me as all the IR work I’ve done has been with a tripod. It tends to be landscape and architecture that work best with IR. I’ve never seen any people pictures that were very appealing. It does strange things to skin and eyes.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29th June 2018, 02:45 PM
Friend

It would be great if this new film could produce most of the "Wood Effect" with a red as could Kodak HIE but from trying to read the German text there is no indication that without the R72 filters the Wood Effect i.e. silvery foliage is possible.

In fact will this new film do anything that SFX200 can't do and SFX is 2 stops faster.

Mike
Old 29th June 2018, 04:06 PM
Friend

Until we see a sensitivity curve for the new Adox film, any attempt to compare it with other films would be pure speculation.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies