Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > External Group Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2012, 08:17 PM
Friend

Default A new kind of Photographic Club?

I am writing this new topic in the hope it will provide ideas and may be of use to others interested in starting something or just plain news. I can remember seeing signatures on some fairly recent posts for starting groups.

The name of the group is the Cambridge Darkroom and its free. There are meetings every last Thursday of the month. There are outside events organised to interesting places as well, usually on Sundays. Yes, it is Cambridge, but there is little to do with a darkroom (as yet). It is still quite new group and on June 28th, there were 25 people attending a meeting devoted to film. Most people there were below 35, with a half a dozen in middle age and older. Actual mono prints were laid out on tables to compare digital with film and film was picked as being the better result with all but two people. Obviously I expect to find a high digital content at subsequent meetings, but if film interest is there it will be catered for I am told.

It was interesting to see the level of interest of these young people with several asking where they can get used film cameras, film and processing. Several others had a film camera and are now planning to buy film and they knew of Silverprint. Only a couple were into Holga/Lomo. Looks like XP2 is going to be in demand.

Meeting venue charges are paid for by the local 'creative' businesses. I missed the May meeting but it was on careers in Photography. No information was available for the July meeting. I become aware of this organisation by a poster in Jessops shop window. More details are available on the internet. www.facebook.com/CambridgeDarkroom
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:04 PM
Friend

I'm sure I can remember there being some interest a south east get together or group of some sort, but nothing came of it. Perhaps it's time to get something together? The club thing doesn't appeal, but talking photography over some beer does... maybe even preceded by doing some photography.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:37 AM
Friend

Yes, it is a talk over some beer with people chatting for half an hour before the talk and again for an hour after. It looks promising but I need to go a few more times and have a couple of weekend outings to get the full idea.

Last year, I got stung for £35 subscription to join the towns' camera club. There were competitions every week at local, area and regional level which I found irritating given the inconsistency of the judging. This kind of 'club' is not for me. With two of us still using film, we were regarded as being either poor and needy or a bit cranky. I did manage to upset a few by making remarks as to the members having much more money than sense. I shall not join again this year.

I did go to our social get together in Norfolk earlier on in the year and I thoroughly enjoyed the event. FADU friends, beer and a chat with some photos. I did say that I would like to do something similar here in Cambridge, but with beer, drinking and driving, public transport had to figure into this. But with most buses finishing between 18.00 and 20.00 with no pubs close to the rail station or Ely station wanting to welcome us, it is an idea I cannot pursue.

All my hopes for beer and a chat are with these people now, unless it is possible to get to any other group to arrange something where trains fit in.
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:08 AM
Friend

Interesting posts and good news regarding the Cambridge Darkroom project, I hope it can be kept going this time.

The availability of beer at such meetings isn't essential, the EMMG has managed on tea and coffee for the last decade, so don't let that point hold anyone back from organising a meeting.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:04 AM
Friend

Default Essex group anyone?

I love the sound of the Cambridge group but it's just a little too far for me for a return day trip

So, are their any Essex FADU peeps out their who would like to do something similar?

Dave (et all administrators) is there already a list of local meet-ups on here or maybe a way of introducing one (by county maybe?)

Thoughts anyone?

Terry S
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I love the sound of the Cambridge group but it's just a little too far for me for a return day trip

So, are their any Essex FADU peeps out their who would like to do something similar?

Dave (et all administrators) is there already a list of local meet-ups on here or maybe a way of introducing one (by county maybe?)

Thoughts anyone?

Terry S
We don't have a list of such groups or even details of members location. We have a links section the is for members to add information to and it is also for members to disclose their location if they so wish.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:51 PM
Friend

The Yorkshire Monochrome Group began with the idea that if we could get 10-12 people together once a month it would be worth while. Almost 15 years later there is still lots of interest, a regular attendance of 40-50 (the max we can accommodate) & members who all help each other. But one thing to avoid is not going down the photo club path, competitions are a dirty word replaced by showing work,discussions about all things alluding to photography & getting speakers who we think will provide thoughts & inspiration to members. Flexibility is needed so nothing is dismissed by members if it has a photographic content. Spread the word & keep the faith.
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Thoughts anyone?

Terry S
Whereabouts are you? I guess some sort of gathering could be arranged if there was enough interest. Is Saffron Walden too far?
Old 4th July 2012, 11:06 AM
Friend

Default I'm in Southend on Sea, Essex

Having just checked and Saffron Walden is not that much closer to be honest

I'm in Southend on Sea, if there are any other members within say a 20 mile range, who would like an occasional (monthly?) meet up?

Terry S
Old 4th July 2012, 11:48 AM
Friend

It is so nice to see these groups being created. Terry have you thought of starting your own group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymgandy View Post
Flexibility is needed so nothing is dismissed by members if it has a photographic content. Spread the word & keep the faith.
As an ex chairman of a photography club all I can say is Amen to that statement.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies