Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st April 2013, 07:05 PM
Friend

Default What a drag?

Now then guys and gals

On friday I developed a couple of rolls of FP4+ in the jobo, constant agitation, in DDX which is new to me as I've only use Ilfosol3 in the past. I've noticed when looking at the negs that on a few of them the densest parts have kind of drifted outside of the film margins. Now this hasn't really created any problems as such but I'm just wondering what has caused this.

So far I'm thinking it could be some kind of lightleak around the corner of the film gate (seems unlikely, its a Mamiya 7 and I've never heard of this before or seen it on other rolls shot with this camera) or maybe some kind of bromide drag?

From what I've read on bromide drag I'd expect to see it on stuff like stand or semi-stand developing but to be honest I thought constant rotary agitation aught to be safe from it.

Any other ideas?

I've included a crap iphone shot of the negs on a lightbox below, you can see this bits drifting into the rebate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dp_bromide_drag226.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1734  
Old 21st April 2013, 07:25 PM
Friend

Hi Dave,
I've also had this happen and my only conclusion is "human error" with improper loading of the film, so sometimes too loose and too slack when winding on and before closing the back.

It seems very erratic/sporadic and I've noticed that when I pay dutiful attention when loading films the problem seems to solve itself.

But I'm curious what others will say...

It's not bromide drag in my opinion.

Oh, and some people say always use the same make film spirals for the up-take spool i.e. Kodak film Kodak spool, Ilford film Ilford spool.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 21st April 2013, 07:25 PM
Friend

It's not the processing. Those negatives look very over-exposed though and it might well be light leaking under the film gate, I've seen it before.

I dsoubt it's a problem with the camera/pressure plate, rather the ange of the light striking the film itself and the high level of over-exposure of the sky.

Ian
Old 21st April 2013, 07:38 PM
Friend

Marty, I'm always careful to keep the film tight when loading, so if I'm doing something wrong here then I'm at a loss to think of how I could improve the situation.

I think in this particular case the roll was wound onto a Fuji reel, if that makes any odds.

Ian, I think the iphone shots there is making the sky look worse than it is, increasing the contrast etc. I remember shooting these and thinking the sky was going to go pretty bright as it was one fo those bright but overcast days. I think the foreground stuff is exposed about right. These drag/leak marks are only adjacent to the densest areas of the neg though, and I can't see any drag into the image area so you could be right.

I've just checked the other roll of FP4 I had in the tank at the same time and there's a couple of woefully overexposed 6x12 images on there with very dense frame edges but these show no leakage, so maybe it is indeed the camera. Bloody cheap japanese junk!
Old 21st April 2013, 09:43 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I tend to overexpose as a matter of course and see this regularly on all formats and different makes of camera. I put it down to light possibly bleeding along the film base to outside the frame area. It usually occurs in landscape shots with a bright sky.

Bill
Old 21st April 2013, 10:54 PM
Friend

I agree with Bill. I get the same effect from time to time, especially with bright skies and shots which include the sun. I don't think it is a camera problem. Alex
Old 21st April 2013, 10:57 PM
Friend

Thanks for that guys, reassuring to hear its not just me!
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:51 AM
Friend

I looks very much like the anti halation layer was not quite up to the job. It will affect all films with a high intensity light spot such as yours.
Old 24th April 2013, 05:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I looks very much like the anti halation layer was not quite up to the job. It will affect all films with a high intensity light spot such as yours.
I totally agree

I have only ever had this problem when I have grossly over exposed a shot

Are you suffereing metering problems ?

Martin
Old 25th April 2013, 03:59 PM
Friend

I've seen this effect in shots with a particularly bright sky such as those, especially on the old Kodak infra-red film which I believe had no anti-halation layer. There's no sign of a problem on the edge markings which look normal so I would wager your processing is not at fault.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies