Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU YEARBOOK 2014

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th August 2014, 06:05 PM
Friend

Hi Neil,

Have to say that I agree with you in that any selection would be preferably made from looking at prints and not at a scanned image and the post seems a good way to do that.

Ian
Old 26th August 2014, 06:22 PM
Friend

How is the print selection process going to work. Is it a case that a selected few are going to have there work represented or are we all going to have at least one picture in the book up to a certain number?

How many prints will need to be submitted to be chosen from?

What will it cost to enter?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 26th August 2014, 07:12 PM
Friend

Yes I would also agree with Neil about a selection being made from prints and if they are only 8 x 10 there would be no need for them to be returned which would mean less headaches for the people organizing the project.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 27th August 2014, 08:22 AM
Friend

Yes, Vincent, that is a good point - the 10x8s need not be returned. That would save a lot of work for those who are doing the book building work and the selection.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th August 2014, 09:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
How is the print selection process going to work. Is it a case that a selected few are going to have there work represented or are we all going to have at least one picture in the book up to a certain number?

How many prints will need to be submitted to be chosen from?

What will it cost to enter?

When Dave used to select for the FADU exhibition and year book it was only Dave that did the selection process. The alternative would be to have a group of selectors - say three. Personally I would be more than happy to let Les have this job as he is the best in the business - and comes free

Using one selector would be easier as the work would just go to one person. If multiple selectors are used (assuming they don't all live in the same street) the work could be posted to each selector in turn and when that has been done a joint decision made on what to select - or a points system applied that would select the work by marks awarded - or by a similar scheme.

The number of prints per person per entry has to be discussed along with the type of book being created and what it is going to cover. A limit would need to be put on the number of prints submitted by one person to avoid the selector/s being swamped with prints. Off the top of my head I would say something in the region or 4 to 6 prints per photographer, with each photographer being allowed one submission, would be about right. A small charge per entry could be made to cover any costs involved, which did happen before as an exhibition was involved, but in the case of a book with time being given freely with no overhead costs there may well be no need to have an entry fee.

If we are looking to get as many FADU photographers involved as possible the way forward would be to leave the subject matter open - as per Roger Maile's Best of Friends books and FADU's year books. In these books subjects such as portraits, beaches, sports and so on were grouped together seamlessly throughout the book.

If we are going to make the book centred around a project - say 'People at Work', the entry level is more than likely to be much less because only those interested in that subject, or are challenging themselves to something different will make submissions.

Neil

Neil Souch
Old 27th August 2014, 10:33 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I would contribute and support if at all possible the production of a book if the subject was 'Open'.

I dislike the current trend to undertake 'Projects'; this smacks of school, university and work with all the restriction and discipline involved, I take B&W photographs on film of what I like when I like and make prints of some of them in the D/R because I enjoy the doing of it and the result. No needless and unwanted pressure.

And I like books of photos and have a fair number of Photographic Annuals mostly from 60's & 70's (Golden Age??) including all the Creative Monohrome Year Books and the three FADU Exhibition Books. Lets go for it, I say, and agree with Neil's suggestions for the process.
Mike
Old 27th August 2014, 07:09 PM
Friend

While I've nothing against a team supporting Les, I'm in favour of Les selecting from a group of open submission prints just like the Roger Maile and Best of Friends approach. Great books but unfortunately just a little before my time

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 27th August 2014, 08:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
When Dave used to select for the FADU exhibition and year book it was only Dave that did the selection process. The alternative would be to have a group of selectors - say three. Personally I would be more than happy to let Les have this job as he is the best in the business - and comes free

Neil
I too would be happy for Les to sort the prints and set the "running order"

A man of his vast experience would be a great asset to any project.

I think we should agree a print limit per person.

When we did the previous exhibitions, we were always guaranteed at least one entry.

My only concern would be loading Les up with all this work - its a heck of an undertaking but if we don't put a completion date he could take as little or as long as he likes.

Martin
Old 27th August 2014, 11:46 PM
Friend

FADU is now the only forum I visit regularly, and the last one where I post. The idea of a project which stimulates a bit of activity here is great.
I don't know, and haven't met Les Maclean, but enjoyed his website and was sorry when it fell silent.
A book sounds great, and if he were interested in editing it we would have struck lucky.
One question to the mods- just how many really active users are there?
I see from the stats 3000+ members, but only 258 'active' members. What are they??
On the print exchange I reckon I see 20 to 30 regulars.
In the daily posts I see a set of regular names (Hi, Argentum, TerryS, et al. You know who you are! )
So, perhaps some kind of thread, or sticky, inviting expressions of serious interest might give an idea of how many participants there would be. I'll say straight off I'd be in- and if Les Maclean bins my print I'll have the quiet comfort of knowing I'd been Binned By the Best!

ps- I would offer practical support, but I am rather 'remote;
Old 28th August 2014, 05:16 AM
Friend

I think resurrecting the the year book would be very good for FADU and I would certainly relish the opportunity to submit some prints for selection whether or not they were chosen for the book.
Skellum's suggestion of a sticky or thread to see how many are interested is a good idea and it would also give Les an idea of the kind of workload he was taking on.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies