Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th September 2021, 11:35 AM
Friend

Default New 3 in 1 pinhole camera / developing tank / enlarger.

The title says it all.

It's not listed yet, but is to become a Kickstarter campaign.

I've given my email for further updates as it looks like a great new product for all of us pinhole camera fans.

Check it all out at: https://www.pinstacamera.com/

Terry S
Old 18th September 2021, 05:52 AM
Friend

I did likewise. Looks like a lot of fun. There was a similar creation from the man who makes the Cameradactyl cameras, whose name escapes me just now. His didn't have the ability to enlargen, though.
Someone on Photrio pointed out the soggy nature of one's camera after each development - I don't know enough about how it all works to comment on that but I have no problem putting up with any inconvenience if it would allow me to photograph, develop and print anywhere. I've been trying to find the best way to do that with my nephew and niece who live on the opposite side of the country.
The best I could manage was coating paper with cyanotype formula before getting on the plane and then buying a couple of photo frames to use as contact frames once I got up there.
This new offering is the closest to a small Afghan Camera/Velophot that I've seen.
I hope it's something I can afford because I think it will make a fantastic teaching tool.

The link below HOPEFULLY goes to their YouTube channel.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCXvOuUBorZzOrZrfM7709pA
Old 18th September 2021, 12:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Someone on Photrio pointed out the soggy nature of one's camera after each development - I don't know enough about how it all works to comment on that...

This new offering is the closest to a small Afghan Camera/Velophot that I've seen.

The link below HOPEFULLY goes to their YouTube channel.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCXvOuUBorZzOrZrfM7709pA
Just watching some of the youtube videos, the guy doesn't seem to be worried about residual liquids, which are only small and in the camera base only, which he says he wipes out with a cloth at the end.

And I've learned a new word for the Afghan type cameras, 'Velophot'. That to made some interesting reading.

The youtube link is spot on, so I'm off to get a coffee and then sit down to watch them.

As you say, someone else also thought about a similar idea, which I too had pondered about over the years, but this guys got it sorted. It looks like a 3D printed camera, but it works great.

I can see this being a good seller for him...if the price is right!

I'll be following with interest.

Terry S
Old 18th September 2021, 06:14 PM
Friend

I'll need to sit and actually watch those videos myself; I found and posted the link whilst taking a quick break from something else and still haven't gone back to them yet.

Regarding the Velophot, I saw one at a friend's shop over a decade ago and was immediately fascinated. Unfortunately, he was fixing it up for someone else but, given its age and the craftsmanship that went into its making, I doubt I'd have been able to afford it even if it was available. Learning the term Afghan camera was the one that came later for me.

I built a miniature fixed focus collapsible enlarger to take interstate with me but we're all locked out of each other's states here so by the time I can go to Western Australia again, my nephew and niece may well be 'over it'. I based it on a Mascot Portable Enlarger that I researched for the friend mentioned above and, given that I only had the rubbish photos I took of it way back then, I'm pretty amazed that my little prototype works. It enlarges 35mm to 6.5cm x 9cm. The fact that focus is spot on is making me feel better about the poor coverage!

I'm making a darkroom box for the boot of my car to be able to develop film and, at the very least, make contact prints.
I say 'making' but the parts, while once again fished out from the spare bedroom and lined up in formation in the loungeroom, are still in their separate components as they have been for three years now while I constantly change my mind about its design.

All that to say, won't it be fun if someone brings a camera, developing tank and darkroom to life all in one wee li'l palm sized package? 😁
Old 19th October 2021, 07:08 PM
Friend

I'm unsure if posting links to Kickstarter projects is allowed, so please accept my apologies and delete this if I've crossed a line!

No affiliation whatsoever but just a heads up that Oli's Pinsta Camera and Enlarger Kickstarter campaign is now live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...larger/rewards
Old 19th October 2021, 08:41 PM
Friend

In the 1970s at the Science Museum in London I saw a similar antique camera.
Fixed lens, wooden body and the interesting feature was the fitting that held the unexposed glass plate.
It consisted of a porcelain developing tray with the bottom removed.
It was permanently fitted inside so that the plate could be placed emulsion side touching the ground edges of the bottomless dish, spring clips holding the plate in contact, forming the bottom of the dish.

The exposure was made, and then the camera stood on its back, lens facing upward.

There was a hole on the front board with a cork in it.
A pipette was put through this hole to facilitate the loading of the developer, etc. I presume there was some sort of light trap for the filler pipe.
After processing the back was opened and the developed plate removed.

It has been done before, and with the size of glass plates used there was no need for enlarging.

If I can find a photograph of one I shall try to put a copy here.

Cheers.
Old 20th October 2021, 12:32 PM
Friend

I love the idea, the prices are about what I would have pitched them at but I'm really wobbly on this project...

I already have numerous pinhole cameras, of mixed qualities.

Most of my b/w pictures with these cameras are taken not that far from home, so I'm really wondering, do I need another camera of this format, but more importantly, I think I prefer the surprise of developing when I get home.

I have the same feeling about Polaroid film and cameras, in that I love the idea and the prints that I've seen recently, but...and maybe more buts...

If I got one for chrimbo say, I would definitely use it, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure I would use it enough to buy one.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Terry S
Old 20th October 2021, 12:43 PM
Friend

Nat, I'm looking forward to seeing photos and hearing more about what you're describing.

Which leads me into Terry's comments. While I knew the price would likely put the Pinsta camera and Enlarger well out of reach for me, I would love to have one. Unfortunately, you can basically double any price given in pounds or euros and you'll have the price in Australian dollars.

I've had a 'side project' I guess you'd call it, since I first saw a Velophot/Afghan Camera a decade or so and acquired a nephew and niece interstate in that time also. Between wanting to show them the magic of a print developing before their very eyes and wanting some way to be as portable, compact and air travel friendly as possible, I've looked into (and made) pinhole cameras, Cyanotypes, a flat packable fixed focus enlarger, a darkroom and developing box and things like the Tabloid and Tetenal tablets being discussed in another thread.

I think Oliver News' Pinsta Camera and Enlarger would have covered almost all bases for me...

I just can't afford one.
Old 22nd October 2021, 07:39 PM
Friend

http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C80.html

The above link should take you to an interesting article about the

DUBRONI No.1 CAMERA

The cutaway drawing at the bottom of the article explains the workings.

I shall try and find a photo of an actual camera that has been sectioned to show the insides. I know I have a picture in a booklet some place.

With the original camera you could look through the lens and view the plate developing by opening the back flap to reveal a red safelight glass.

I think someone has tried to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies