Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th May 2018, 10:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Hi Mitch,

Still got mine to shoot yet, but what dilution did you use ?

Ian
Hi Ian, sorry have only just seen this.

I used the HC110 @1 to 49 I know a bit odd dilution. If you have not got any syringes in mls and or part mls you will need some. It is the best way to get the developer out of the bottle and get the quantity right. I tried using a graduate its consistency like syrup to pour making it difficult to judge the right amount and just as sticky

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Hi Ian, sorry have only just seen this.

I used the HC110 @1 to 49 I know a bit odd dilution. If you have not got any syringes in mls and or part mls you will need some. It is the best way to get the developer out of the bottle and get the quantity right. I tried using a graduate its consistency like syrup to pour making it difficult to judge the right amount and just as sticky
And syringes should be part of everyone's 'little box of processing bits.'

They are available on line, at different sizes, as well as at most chemists and don't cost much at all in comparison to their usefulness.

Having just checked on ebay, they start at £0.99 for one 5ml syringe, including p&p in the UK.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 8th May 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 9th May 2018, 05:54 AM
Friend

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the reply, and the tip on the syrup. I have disposable syringes in my box so no worries there.

If all goes well I hope to shoot one roll this weekend, will let you know how I get on.

Ian
Old 9th May 2018, 08:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

They are available on line, at different sizes, as well as at most chemists and don't cost much at all in comparison to their usefulness.

Having just checked on ebay, they start at £0.99 for one 5ml syringe, including p&p in the UK.

Terry S
I agree Terry.

It is a shame that the bottle has not got a special top that you can plug the syringe into making it quick and easy to fill.
The other thing to watch for is air bubbles as you pull the fluid in. It is no good flicking the syringe like you see on the TV it is to viscous to make any difference. It is best to over pull the amount and push back to what you need.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:02 AM
Friend

Default Not So

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S
Thanks to those who like to inject something a little more active than film developer into the nearest convenient vein, quite a lot of chemists are now refusing to sell syringes to customers. I have personal experience of this at Boots in Durham and it seems that is a company policy. NO mention of needles made or suggested but the answer was no!

Help is at hand, disposable ones can be bought from the likes of Permajet who supply them to be used with their re-fillable cartridges. They also sell the long thin metal tubes (like blunt needles) which will allow you to access bottles more easily.
Old 9th May 2018, 03:01 PM
Friend

I have decanted HC110 into empty contact lens solution bottles. They have a fine nozzle that allows you to squeeze out the required volume in a controlled way. I tend to use round numbers of concentrate, and measure in a small graduate. I have often thought that some of the concentrate will be left behind in a syringe, although you can wash it out by repeated filling and emptying into the mixed solution.
The nozzle of my contact lens bottles can be pulled off to allow easy filling.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10th May 2018, 08:08 AM
Friend

Anyone who has a child under 5 will have a cupboard full of spare 5ml syringes as they come with every bottle of infant calpol or neurofen. I even got given one for nothing by Boots once as I bought a cheapo off brand bottle that didn't have a syringe included!

Just ask any friends or famy members with kids if you need one...
Old 10th May 2018, 09:28 AM
Friend

I'm not sure that silverprint still do them but that is where I purchased mine some years ago.
If you have a dog on certain med's the vets also supplies them.

Old 11th May 2018, 06:14 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

A company called The Writing Desk supply 3ml syringes with blunt needles to be used for filling older fountain pens or refilling cartridges. https://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/sho...at=accessories

Bill
Old 11th May 2018, 12:20 PM
Friend

It's always good to see where everyone else buys their smaller bits and bobs, but after adding on postage, my suggestion of buying off of ebay is deffo still the cheapest by far at 99p INCLUDING postage.

Terry S

Tags
black and white film, ilford, xp2
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies